Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
1. 3S-FE/GE/GTE don't not share the same mounts as a 5S-FE.

2. 3S-FE/GE/GTE all share the same block (3rd gen S block). However the internals are different on each.

3. Even though a 5S-FE uses different mounts vs. 3S-FE/GE/GTE, the holes for the front and rear engine mount (on the block) are there on both blocks (3S and 5S). However the mounts are in different places on a 3S and 5S.

So the difference is in the mounts and where they mount on the block and tranny.

4. Yes a 3S-GE/GTE will bolt right up on a gen 2, but only on the 4 cyl.

A lot of mr2 peeps and celica peeps say the motor mounts will match up. Its only on this forum that I hear people say they don't.
We're talking about a Camry, not a Celica or MR2.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
88 LE said:
1. 3S-FE/GE/GTE don't not share the same mounts as a 5S-FE.

2. 3S-FE/GE/GTE all share the same block (3rd gen S block). However the internals are different on each.

3. Even though a 5S-FE uses different mounts vs. 3S-FE/GE/GTE, the holes for the front and rear engine mount (on the block) are there on both blocks (3S and 5S). However the mounts are in different places on a 3S and 5S.

So the difference is in the mounts and where they mount on the block and tranny.

4. Yes a 3S-GE/GTE will bolt right up on a gen 2, but only on the 4 cyl.

We're talking about a Camry, not a Celica or MR2.
Ok.. So that clears up then? A 5sfe does share the same motor mounts as a 3sge/3sgte if its on a celica or mr2, but not a camry. I don't really see why it would be different though. From my understanding, the 1mzfe shares the same motor mounts as the 5sfe on the celica and mr2. It would only be logical for the camry's 5sfe to have the same motor mounts. But well, sometimes things are weird like that.

But 88LE, you have to remember this is a toyota message board. People on this board own mr2's, celica's, corolla's, tercel's, etc... If you say a 5sfe doesn't share the same motor mounts and someone goes to another message board and everyone in there say it does. Then you're confusing that one person and thus, giving out bad information. I for one got a little side tracked. But well, maybe its my fault for not mentioning what car the 5sfe is coming from. Still though, you seem to be totally focused on the camry. I'll know not to get a 5sfe from a camry now though.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I need to rephrase myself. 88LE is not giving out bad information. Its just a little miss leading. I didn't know a 5sfe from a camry would be so different from an mr2 and celica.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
TubRog5 said:
From my understanding, the 1mzfe shares the same motor mounts as the 5sfe on the celica and mr2. It would only be logical for the camry's 5sfe to have the same motor mounts. But well, sometimes things are weird like that.
3 out of the 4 1MZ motor mounts do match up in the MR2. One has to be custom fabricated. I think someone does it on the MR2 Message Board. I don't think anyone has gotten the VVT-i 1MZ to work either. 210hp/220lbs-ft would be nice in an MR2.

TubRog, if you have a Celica or MR2, get a 5S-FE from a Celica or MR2. The reason for that is the cams are a little more aggressive esp for 93 and up and the fuel injectors are 20ccs larger than 91-92 5S-FEs. The 5S-FE, no matter where it comes from, will bolt up to any chassis it was designed for. Any S series engine is cross-compatible, to my knowledge, on MR2s and Celicas. That includes the 3S-FE, GE, GTE and 5S-FE or GE/GTE if you have a hybrid. The only exception is the 3S-GTE from the Celica All-Trac. It's totally different and won't work in an MR2. I don't know of anyone who's done a 4WD conversion on a Camry, so I dunno about that.

The motor mounts themselves may be different on a Camry, but that's why you re-use your current motor mounts. The wiring harness and ECU should also be re-used unless it's from the same type of car. That'll avoid any problems.

Jason

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
91MR2quickNA said:
3 out of the 4 1MZ motor mounts do match up in the MR2. One has to be custom fabricated. I think someone does it on the MR2 Message Board. I don't think anyone has gotten the VVT-i 1MZ to work either. 210hp/220lbs-ft would be nice in an MR2.

TubRog, if you have a Celica or MR2, get a 5S-FE from a Celica or MR2. The reason for that is the cams are a little more aggressive esp for 93 and up and the fuel injectors are 20ccs larger than 91-92 5S-FEs. The 5S-FE, no matter where it comes from, will bolt up to any chassis it was designed for. Any S series engine is cross-compatible, to my knowledge, on MR2s and Celicas. That includes the 3S-FE, GE, GTE and 5S-FE or GE/GTE if you have a hybrid. The only exception is the 3S-GTE from the Celica All-Trac. It's totally different and won't work in an MR2. I don't know of anyone who's done a 4WD conversion on a Camry, so I dunno about that.

The motor mounts themselves may be different on a Camry, but that's why you re-use your current motor mounts. The wiring harness and ECU should also be re-used unless it's from the same type of car. That'll avoid any problems.

Jason
Ahh, I see. Camry's are a whole new world to me. I think I know something then find out its not entirely correct. I wasn't aware that the cams are different at all.

What makes the 3sgte from the alltrac incompatible with the mr2? Its true, I never hear of someone taking an alltrac motor and swapping that into an mr2, but I'd assume that there wouldn't be much of a difference at all. Also, someone can easily find an mr2 3s anyways though. The only thing that you wouldn't be able to use is the tranny to my knowledge. Thats the obviouse though.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've heard from the MR2 guys that it's a headache, but I wouldn't know cuz I have an N/A. Well here's a post from Huey on the MR2 message board:

To drop in a 3sgte celica engine into a mr2 you need to change out many parts such as all the engine mounting brackets,alternator,crank pully,and some other stuff.If you have a mr2 turbo then you could use the celica alltrac motor if going n/a to turbo it would be a big mistake to buy a alltrac celica motor.Hope this clears things up.

BTW I've done both (celica alltrac and mr2 turbo)motor swaps before,its not a hard swap if you know what your doing

Some of the other guys said that it's hard to check the oil and the readings are never accurate.

Jason

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
TubRog5 said:
Do they share the same motor mounts?
All your questions are answered correctly but non of them as you what tranny, you plan to use... And the motor situation on a 3rd Gen camry, dominating factor is which tranny...

5s-fe mounts will work if you plan on use the 5s-fe trans and the motor will lean to one side of the engine bay, not a clean install... Now if you plan on using a e153 trans, forget about it ... You will not be able too without the rear engine /axle cup mount...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I've always thought it was weird how people on this messageboard would always say the 5s don't share the same mounts as a 3s. So, I was just wondering what the deal was. I'd read one thing here and then something totally different on other messageboards. Now I know more about the story though.

But yes, with me. I've found a celica 5sfe that I'll drop in place of my blown 5sfe. Thats if things go right. At one point I was about to settle for a 3sfe from a 2nd generation camry. A 5sfe from another celica would make things a whole lot easier. So thats where I'm headed..hopefully.. I would be using my current tranny.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Zoni_Camry said:
they work, but the engine MIGHT sit slightly crooked... but that might have been cause wraith was using the mr2 tranny though... thats where everyone got their info from.
even with the 5s-fe tranny the motor still sit crooked ... unless its a 2nd Gen using the stock 3s-fe trans ... The motor mount between the 2 generations are alittle different...

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Zoni_Camry said:
3rd or 4th gen with camry e153, how about that...?
It should work as just as long as you use the V6 axles also... You have to remember the MR2 turbo trans is also a e153 ... its the axle carrier thats different...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.