Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 5sfe rebuilt with 8.3:1 compression ratio forged pistons, 3sgte rods, everything except for the cams is brand new. The motor should hold 21psi, and my T3 maxes out at about 19psi. By next spring I'll have my intercooler installed, a 3sgte fuel pump, custom fuel rail with Bosch 550cc injectors, MSD Digital 6, and Haltech stand alone. Has anyone done anything like this before? Any ideas on how much I should be putting down (on one wheel for now.... desperately need a limited slip) I'm really curious to see how much of the 5sfe "torquey-ness" I'll retain. Could I touch 11's with a limited slip and some drag radials?

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
Yes, turboing a 5SFE has been done before and the guy who did it is in the 10s.

I would think you are going to need abigger fuel pump than the 3SGTE one.

As for limited slip, that is not necessary in the MR2 for drag launches. It helps our cars get power to the ground out of turns. Although the MR2 does tend to put more power down to one wheel, it still applies power to both wheels ... there is not a huge advantage to LSD in the MR2 at the drag strip.

NoSir ... not sure why you would say 11s are not going to happen on a 2.2 liter with a T3 turbo, but there is at least 2 people who have gone 11s with a the 2.0 and hte CT20b.

·
Registered
14 Posts
JekylandHyde said:

NoSir ... not sure why you would say 11s are not going to happen on a 2.2 liter with a T3 turbo, but there is at least 2 people who have gone 11s with a the 2.0 and hte CT20b.
Most T3's are very small turbos. You can get them with almost any trim you want, but in most cases they are stock turbos off of junked cars. Not saying his is off a junked car though! But I would like to know more about the specs of his T3.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it's the Garett TB0344 from the Burien Toyota 5sfe turbo kit. Looks like medium sized turbo but I don't have much to compare it too. I do know its a lot bigger than the stock DSM baby turbos on the Eclipses. Would a TD06 produce more power?

That's interesting about the Limited slip, cause I remember laying down just 1 line of rubber whenever I launched. I wouldn't get much traction til 2nd gear.

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
You laid down rubber with an unboosted 5SFE?

... I have seen owners put down to lines of rubber without LSD in the turbo MR2. Regardless, when you are laying down rubber you are intentionally breaking traction so power would go greatly to one wheel. If you are properly launching the car, then power will be going to both wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 91 celica running a pretty tired 5sfe engine with standard diff and it lays down rubber with ease. It doesn't seem to be favouring one wheel either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
jekylandhyde, i dont understand when you say "if you are properly launching the car the you should put down power to both wheels". Ive too also laid down rubber with the torquey bottem end'd 5sfe in 1st easilly. But, ive always spun the passanger side tire. And the td06 is a VERY underrated turbo. The t3 you have sounds like a nice turbo, but i would have gone with probably a garret t3/to4e 60 trim with a .63ar. Because the 5sfe being the extra .2 liters more than the 3sgte can really spool a turbo quite a bit faster than the 3s and can hold that power till redline because of how low the redline is. But anyways, it seems like you have a really really nice setup, are you going with the 3sgte head??
-Terry

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
Explanation: laying rubber is not proper launching your car.
And ideal launch would be just a hint of a chirp and you are off.

If you are "laying rubber" or doing a burnout, you are intentionally breaking traction and then it is quite possible that you will expereince one wheel on an open diff spinning.

If you properly launch an MR2, using the max power to the ground without breaking traction, you will have power going to both wheels.

The factory LSD is not a huge help to drag racing an MR2.

WhiterMR2, I have a 3SGTE. I have not and would not turbo the 5SFE. Regardless of the 10% more displacement, it is a significantly weaker engine with a poorly designed head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ahhhh ok i get what your saying now :), good explaination. And the 5s block is recemmended for a stroked 3sgte platform right?? do you know what i mean?
-Terry

·
no more V-6...
1993 MR-2
632 Posts
what could be done to the 5sfe head to make it worthy of power.... other than replacing it with a 3sgte head...

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
The FE head is not for performance. Its design for fuel efficiency and torque. You can get more from it with P&P, cams, valves but you won't get as far as the GE head. If you want high HP, you'll need the GE head.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
You don't really need those. GE head acturally is higher then FE head, wider valve angle so the piston won't hit anything. You'll get a bit lower CR. All you need is a RPM switch to activate TVIS at around 3500-4000 RPM. Keep TVIS for better lowend. Removing it doesn't help much in highend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"I would think you are going to need abigger fuel pump than the 3SGTE one."

That's correct. ALSO....go to Ebay. Walbro (aka Whinebro) 255lph pump is about $80 new with warranty. 255lph is gonna hold you up to 350hp without nasty strain on the pump.

"jekylandhyde, i dont understand when you say "if you are properly launching the car the you should put down power to both wheels". Ive too also laid down rubber with the torquey bottem end'd 5sfe in 1st easilly. But, ive always spun the passanger side tire. And the td06 is a VERY underrated turbo. The t3 you have sounds like a nice turbo, but i would have gone with probably a garret t3/to4e 60 trim with a .63ar. Because the 5sfe being the extra .2 liters more than the 3sgte can really spool a turbo quite a bit faster than the 3s and can hold that power till redline because of how low the redline is. But anyways, it seems like you have a really really nice setup, are you going with the 3sgte head??"

Anything more than a T3/T4 super 60 is gonna be such a waste. In fact, that particular turbo is a waste. As Hyde said, the 5sfe head has way less flow than the 3sgte head. If your T3 (or whatever number you splurted out up there) is gonna max out at 19psi, then I believe you're gonna kill it and your engine trying to run more. Since the flow qualities of the 5sfe head are kinda low in comparison to the 3sgte, I speculate that your maximum power output / efficiency will be somewhere around 12-15psi on that T3. Any more than that and you'll create the wrong pressure situation. (Exhaust manifold psi higher than intake manifold psi, resulting in more air backed up through the charge pipe than the engine could burn, slowing the turbo's spooling and creating more strain on it.)

I'd say, with the setup you're running, you'll probably see somewhere around the 250-270whp range at around 12-15psi. I'm not sure how much you can push through your MAF, and that makes another problem if it's small.

There are so many variables to consider when turboing a N/A car, it's really tough to estimate what you'll end up with as far as whp and tq. I'd like to know what you get on the dyno, however, as I'm curious to learn more about both the 5sfe and 3sgte.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts