Toyota Nation Forum banner

5SFE fuel line repair kit?

12125 12
Does anyone know if one exists, or where to get one?

If not, I have a couple questions regarding them...

like... what size is are the fittings for the fuel filter?
what size is the fuel line?
and lastly... what size are the threads for the fuel filter?

I have a pretty buggered fuel line on the bottom of my fuel filter, and it needs to be replaced, we're thinking of buying some hard-line and using compression fittings, but we can't seem to find what sizes we need to buy.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
659 Posts
I had exactly the same problem when I changed my fuel filter. I ended up messing the line and couldn't use it anymore. Here is what I did :
I went to a junkyard, asked for the last part of the fuel line (that goes into the fuel filter) along with a few inches piping, from any Toyota (it seems most of them are just the same), put that stuff into my new filter, cut the equivalent part on my line, and joined the two parts with a flex pipe and clamps. I know it is not as "beautiful" as original but it is very efficient, safe and so easy ! Just think that otherwise you would have to change the entire fuel line (until the tank) !!!

· Registered
1,788 Posts
mark, i know you're looking to get some performance out of your motor at the end of the day so i'm not gonna give you the stock fix reply.
Instead i would suggest you get some SS braided line and buy an aftermarket fuel filter and replace the line going to the pump with the SS braided line and then use the appropriate fittings. You'd end up doing it in the end so jsut do it now.

· Zzzz
Camry
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EMMETT03 said:
I'm having the same problem with the fuel line to the fuel filter, its completely rusted and wont come off. How did you replace the line? thanks
That's easy... I haven't.
I haven't had the $$ to really fool with it much yet, and I have things that are of a higher priority (leaking differential seal).

I don't stall while going up hills. My problem is, I think I'm losing some pressure in fuel, so I'm definitely not happy with that.

I'm thinking I'll eventually have a shop run SS braided line through.

· Registered
19 Posts
Fuel Line Repair DIY

:help: I would like to know if anyone has been able to do a fuel line repair using a compression union to join the steel lines together? To be more specific, I want to replace the cutoff piece with a good junk yard donor but would prefer to use a compression union to make the connection between the tubes. These tubes are metric and I believe they are close to 8mm for the O.D. I have not been able to find a metric compression union anywhere. The person who submits a DO IT YOURSELF description for this common repair problem with part numbers and suppliers for the fittings etc. will be a hero! If I get lucky, I will post with part numbers, pictures and description. :help:

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Some autopart stores sell the Dorman/Help fuel fittings/extensions/hoses for repair. Other stores, like Napa/Oreillys/... have stores with custom hose/line bending.

Dorman 800-850 is the full line for a newer Camry. May be able to adapt it to yours.

Take your new fuel filter and see if this screws in the bottom:
Dorman 800-151 14mm repair fitting.

Click here for filter info:
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=F44829
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=G7766

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Don't use a junkyard donor (you're only going to run into problems later). The lines are NOT metric. You need to check inner and outer diameter of the line to match it.

I put a patch on my rear brake line 2 weeks ago (WAY more pressure than is in a fuel line), using compression fittings. If you can save the old fitting, use that as a guide. If it's off the car, cut the line as close as you can to the fitting, and put a 6 point socket on it to free it.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
I must be missing something... why did they have to cut and drill a barbed fitting? Couldn't ya just buy the right flare fitting? And then with a flare tool, bender you could then use a compression fitting, or 2 more flares and a flare union?

· Registered
1,189 Posts
I must be missing something... why did they have to cut and drill a barbed fitting? Couldn't ya just buy the right flare fitting? And then with a flare tool, bender you could then use a compression fitting, or 2 more flares and a flare union?
Either they wanted to impress you with there DIY fabrication skills, or they couldn't find the fitting quickly/locally, even though they didn't have the right tool to remove the nut and simply stripped it.

Its an easy fix. Being a fuel line, if the OP doesn't want to toast his vehicle, then seek professional help.

· Registered
97 Camry CE
52 Posts
I hosed my line when trying to do the fuel filter myself, and ended up towing my car to the shop, and having them replace the whole fuel line itself (which was only like $30 at O'Reilleys, I believe it was that Dorman 800 something one someone mentioned). The repair costs were a few hundred, but I was fed up with it, and needed my car to work again. If you are comfortable replace the whole line, I think it is better than trying to cut and re-flair it yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.