Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i finished rebuilding a friends 00 camrys 2.2 engine. engine was fully redone; machined and complete engine kit from rock auto. upon startup found lower end knock. after listening with a stethiscope and trying everything under the sun, decided to disassemble to inspect (oil pressure was in spec and let run for at most 2 hours-idle no driving). upon disassembly nothing found!! all bearings look new and even took to machine shop and they miked everything and everything in spec. the only thing i can tell, and i'm not sure, is that the gear on crankshaft to drive the balancer assembly has one tooth with the smallest slight chip/scuff on it. so i polished it clean and this is where i need some help. anyone run into trouble with this gear before? can not find anyone around me that even messes around with the balancer or gear. the engine was not knocking before rebuild it just had low compression on a cylinder (200k miles) so i don't see what could have happened. unless the forementioned marred tooth on gear happened during moving to or at machine shop and some how bent the gear. please help!!!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I would just remove the balance shafts period. You don't want your fresh engine to blow!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have read on people removing balancer assembly and plugging oil hole. my concern with this fix is the longevity of the engine. engine pulled car for 200k+ miles before rebuild and i know the owner would like to at least equal that out of rebuilt unit. anyone have experience with running 2.2L for long periods without balancer assembly?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I've only got 7k miles on my new engine without balancers without problem. You will notice a slight vibration, but it's better than a blown engine.

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts
To my understanding there are 5sfe's that have balance shafts (camry) and some that dont (celica) from factory. owned both and while the camry was a bit smoother, engine life should not be compromised without balance shafts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also have 8k on my engine rebuild like Chris without balance shafts and Im doing fine you will have more harmonic noise. But the engine seems happier to rev without them and taking them out increases oil pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts