Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So forgive me for my stupidity, but i looked and looked for this info online and couldn't really find what i was looking for. I want to do something that most will laugh at me for but i want to make my 94 Camry 5sfe into a rwd manual trans. I know i could just use the Mr2 or celica trans to make it into a manual but what would i need to make it a rwd manual? I also know theres a lot more (and better motors) for my car i could swap but for whatever reason i want to stick with the 5sfe. Any info would help a lot, thanks!

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Cars 101: Anything is possible if you have enough money. But honestly... come on. This isn't worth it.

·
I am Camfuzed
1999 Camry LE
154 Posts
Hey,

So forgive me for my stupidity, but i looked and looked for this info online and couldn't really find what i was looking for. I want to do something that most will laugh at me for but i want to make my 94 Camry 5sfe into a rwd manual trans. I know i could just use the Mr2 or celica trans to make it into a manual but what would i need to make it a rwd manual? I also know theres a lot more (and better motors) for my car i could swap but for whatever reason i want to stick with the 5sfe. Any info would help a lot, thanks!
Cut a whole in the firewall, custom fit a a RWD transmission to your 5SFE, turn your 5SFE sideways, cut a hole down the middle of your car for the driveshaft, find a rear differential and rear suspension to custom fit to your rear end.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Cut a whole in the firewall, custom fit a a RWD transmission to your 5SFE, turn your 5SFE sideways, cut a hole down the middle of your car for the driveshaft, find a rear differential and rear suspension to custom fit to your rear end.
The car already has room for a drive shaft. Ever seen that hump in the back in the middle of the car? It was sold with available AWD over seas. So you can skip that step.

Okay, I think we covered everything. Lock?

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
All I can is that if I went to all that Work, I'd shoehorn a F'g V8 in there NOT mess around 2.2LITERS! Its 3600lb car! 5.5, 6, 7Liters, now you have some TORQUE!!!!! And its a SLEEPER!!!!!!

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
OK - Now is good w/me :D

If I had money to waste, I think I might. . . .

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts
IBL seriously if you want a 5sfe and rwd and a manual, buy a MR2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I really just want a car that most no one else has, im tired of seeing nothing but mostly bolt-ons. But thinking on it, it does seem like way t much time, work, and money just for a slightly more unique car. I think ill just find a manual 4th gen coupe and work on that. Thanks again. :)

·
Camry Expert/MR2 JR Xpert
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
Thanks everyone, I really just want a car that most no one else has, im tired of seeing nothing but mostly bolt-ons. But thinking on it, it does seem like way t much time, work, and money just for a slightly more unique car. I think ill just find a manual 4th gen coupe and work on that. Thanks again. :)

So you mean a Solara?

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
All I can is that if I went to all that Work, I'd shoehorn a F'g V8 in there NOT mess around 2.2LITERS! Its 3600lb car! 5.5, 6, 7Liters, now you have some TORQUE!!!!! And its a SLEEPER!!!!!!

:D

In all seriousness though, it would be a great idea to do a RWD conversion. Just instead of a American V8, I'd settle for...

an S54, or perhaps S62 powerplant (unless a 2JZ is sitting handy nearby), and possibly a AWD system while I'm under there :naughty:

S54/62 being BMW motors; Wiki can tell you why I picked these two specifically :thumbsup:

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
A little bit of my respect for you just died. :facepalm: :lol:
What? If you've got money to burn, and want to stand out...

A M-powered RWD Camry would be pretty sick...
besides, powersliding a FWD doesn't work :lol:

I'll do it myself, if someone wants to give my the $$$ :D

And I've heard that someone apparently did a 2JZ swap (not on TN though)...

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
i heard 1jz, but if i ever have money again i'm doing a 1uz swap, then getting a duce

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Skip this post - ** warning ** . . . lol

:D

In all seriousness though, it would be a great idea to do a RWD conversion. Just instead of a American V8, I'd settle for...

an S54, or perhaps S62 powerplant (unless a 2JZ is sitting handy nearby), and possibly a AWD system while I'm under there :naughty:

S54/62 being BMW motors; Wiki can tell you why I picked these two specifically :thumbsup:
True - but we're not building a junkstang, a sleeper with an ALARMING amount of power. . . I'm just saying I wouldn't go to all the work with stock engine. I am all for rear drive cars that handle tho as most real life scenarios show that brakes and handling will likely out-do high HP bad handling cars (to your point).

I wish I had pictures of some of my past, but we weren't so big on pictures then. Anyone familiar with a 65 Chev Corvair? A rear engine, all aluminum flat six, opposed with a displacement of 164c.i. N/A they put out 110hp. The turbo model, 180hp. Those were my first cars and educational they were. Most the time, we raided the engine from donors for Corvair powered sand-rail dune buggies cause they'd eat expensive VW counterparts and were 10X more reliable. Anyway, I came across a guy who wanted something more. So we put a 327Chev in the backseat of the little Corvair! Mind you 65 to 69 Corvairs shared the same suspension design as the Corvette. It was like an MR2 with really scary bad brakes! lol Hint we used a 4spd auto trans from an FWD Eldorado which was heavy, but it screamer and it was custom everything! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair << Skip to Gen 2!!! 65 - 69

Moral of the story; some things must be done!
Goal, more torque, more stealth, RWD, Very unique which is why it'd also get the top chopped! :thumbsup:

Edit: not many pix but take a look at this, a 500hp mid engine V6 from a bush/nascar conversion. . . using the stock transaxle! http://www.corvaircorsa.com/burkett02.html

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
True - but we're not building a junkstang, a sleeper with an ALARMING amount of power. . . I'm just saying I wouldn't go to all the work with stock engine. I am all for rear drive cars that handle tho as most real life scenarios show that brakes and handling will likely out-do high HP bad handling cars (to your point).

I wish I had pictures of some of my past, but we weren't so big on pictures then. Anyone familiar with a 65 Chev Corvair? A rear engine, all aluminum flat six, opposed with a displacement of 164c.i. N/A they put out 110hp. The turbo model, 180hp. Those were my first cars and educational they were. Most the time, we raided the engine from donors for Corvair powered sand-rail dune buggies cause they'd eat expensive VW counterparts and were 10X more reliable. Anyway, I came across a guy who wanted something more. So we put a 327Chev in the backseat of the little Corvair! Mind you 65 to 69 Corvairs shared the same suspension design as the Corvette. It was like an MR2 with really scary bad brakes! lol Hint we used a 4spd auto trans from an FWD Eldorado which was heavy, but it screamer and it was custom everything! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair << Skip to Gen 2!!! 65 - 69

Moral of the story; some things must be done!
Goal, more torque, more stealth, RWD, Very unique which is why it'd also get the top chopped! :thumbsup:

Edit: not many pix but take a look at this, a 500hp mid engine V6 from a bush/nascar conversion. . . using the stock transaxle! http://www.corvaircorsa.com/burkett02.html
ah, the Corvair...
Ralph Nader would have you think of it as death on wheels :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts