Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 93 camry 5sfe i was wondering if a Jspec 3sgte from a cellica would match the motor mounts in my car... and would i have to swap out my trany too? im not sure if my trany would hold that much power.
thanx, Chris

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Do you have a manual or auto tranny?

And to do that, If i were you i'd beef everything up. Re build the tranny and build up the engine. But that is me.

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
Slow-yota said:
Hey, I have a 93 camry 5sfe i was wondering if a Jspec 3sgte from a cellica would match the motor mounts in my car

no. you need custom mounts

... and would i have to swap out my trany too? im not sure if my trany would hold that much power.
thanx, Chris
Yes. E153 from Camry Solara manuals tend to be used in this project.

Look up all of Wraith's posts and websites related to this. He's already done it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have done a 3sgte swap on my celica I used one of my mr2 trans, and bought an new mr2 trans for my mr2.

5sfe would hold the power if your leaving it stock for now, but later if you decide to upgrade it use an v6 camry trans or m2 turbo trans they work best.

The 3sgte should fit perfectly in your motor mounts for now but you might have to replace it sooner or later.

Somewhere in the camry forum someone said about leaving the 5sfe block and putting on a 3sgte head. I think this would be very unique but may also have a lot of problem.

Just like the ls vtec. Integra LS block with Vtec head, very powerful but has a lot of problem.

Camry with a 3sgte would be cool. I like to try that too but I already have a celica with 3sgte.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its an auto right now but if i have to swap it im thinkin about geting manual... but with auto cant u get boost off the line by doin a brake stand?

i dont plan on leavin this engin stock when i get it. i want to run between 12 and 15 lbs of boost. i dont realy know what all needs to be done for that tho

how much would custom mounts cost?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YangS said:

Somewhere in the camry forum someone said about leaving the 5sfe block and putting on a 3sgte head. I think this would be very unique but may also have a lot of problem.

thats wat i was thinkin about doin before i dicided to go with a whole 3sgte... but fe blocks are aluminum and they proly couldnt hold the boost and blow up which would not be good ...gte blocks are iron

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
just better tuned where as us-spec are tuned for lower emissions

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
the emissions difference won't matter, you still have to pass emissions, unless you somehow have a US motor in japan, your emissions aren't the same, so you'll have to compensate either way.

Not only that, but you're going to need custom mounts for a gen3 camry to take a 3sgte, not only that but you'll need a 3sgte ECU along with a list of other things. It's not an easy task.

It would be easier if you had a gen2 camry which uses a 3sfe, which is the same block as the 3sgte.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Smog legal dosnt realy matter here, i live in texas they dont ever check emisions here. and jdm motors have more horse power thats why i want one as oposed to a domestic where theres all that unessisary smog crap

in texas ppl drive around with trucks with straght pipes all the time

i know wrath has a 5s gte i think those are even more powerfull then a 3s gte cuz 5s blocks have biger bore and stroke but since the block is aluminum its got a higher chance of worping or even blowing up under the presure of the turbo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
theres a link to a jdm web site on this site i found a 3sgte for a cellica and it comes with ecu, wiring harnis and an intercooler for like 1400 then i gota have it installed which means im gona be savin my pennes for a while

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
Slow-yota said:
..but fe blocks are aluminum and they proly couldnt hold the boost and blow up which would not be good ...gte blocks are iron
not necessarily. 92-94 5SFEs are iron blocks, all other years are aluminum. Head type doesn't reflect what metal was used for the engine. F heads have more even power spreads, G heads have a sportier power spread.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
i believe f and g refer to the heads only, f headsa are "economy" dohc, where as g heads are true dohc, the f heads only have one cam gear connecting to the belt but the g heads are spaced farther apart and have two cam gears connecting to the belt, and someone please make the 3sgte into a camry a sticky with a clear title :p:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts