Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay theres a new problem i need help with.
is there any way to keep my 5sfe tranny with a 3sgte engine?
my wife cant drive standard and is bitch'in about me going standard so here's hoping

i could definetly use someones help on this one

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
You are going to let your wife drive a car with a turbo?

And you are wasting your money on an engine when you could be buying stuff for your family?

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
if you use that blinking search button youll find the answer, but it seems here that if you wanna go 3sgte you go manual. fullstop. unless you got cash to burn to get an auto mated to the motor, gg =)

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
if you wanna keep it auto shell out the $ for the caldina tranny. it's auto and mates to the 3sgte

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool

good i geuss that means i can go standard cause theres no other option. as long as i tried to find a way im in the clear with the wife
thanks guys

and to answer the question of wasting money , ive got the money to spend on what ever i want and still get my familiy every thing they want and need :D

perks of being the family bread winner

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3sgte

so which tranny is best, besides all-track, dont want to cut my chassis up need some opinoins on this

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
v6 camry/solara tranny (some of the mr2 dudes recommend that at the m2r forums), but then again that was for a m/t and not an a/t

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so how does the mr2 tranny work with the 3sgte. obviously it bolts on but does'nt that mean the shifter will be upside down being the mr2 tranny was ment for rwd on a mid-engine
please excuse my ignorance

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
The easiest way is for you to get an E-153 tranny from a V6 camry or Solara.

The Mr2 tranny can work but you would have to modify it

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
This whole thread is a slap in the face to the 3sgte. :thumbdown

Letting your wife drive a turbo car with an automatic :disappoin

Should have just supercharged the 5sfe.. would have worked out a lot better, instead of dropping in a 3sgte and finding another tranny for it. :)

·
Grenaded piston
6,584 Posts
Deusdw0331 said:
now is that somthing a shop could do
I'm sure a shop can do the modifications to the tranny.

If you don't want to deal with the modifications, use a E153 tranny from a V6 Camry/Solara. It bolts up to a 3S-GTE and the shift levers are on the correct side of the tranny for a fwd application.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,716 Posts
Go rent a car with a manual tranny and teach your wife how to drive it. Your wife should be able to enjoy the car, and so should you - the best way to do that is with the most efficient and strong tranny available.

Good luck!

-Charlie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts