Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth turbo'ing a 4 door 2.2l camry? i mean it would be cool as hell but how much of a horsepower/torque gain did you notice? if you had the chance would you go back and do something different?

·
Registered
1990 celica All-Trac
161 Posts
all items bought, installed, and tuned, imo its easier (and less of a headache) to just buy a turbo'd car instead. unless, you really love your camry. then, i suggest ripp's sds instead.:thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an MR2 with a turbo 5sfe, motor cost me $2700, built to handle 21psi. the turbo is from the burien toyota turbo kit, which, through 360 cc injectors and a map sensor can support 14psi(you'll just run rich when not boosting, and the ecu will take a few days to adjust when ever you change the boost level) To run higher than 14psi, you'll need a custom fuel rail to drop in 550 cc injectors, the 3sgte fuel pump (or better), and stand alone engine management with tuning. With the stock ecu setup, at 12psi, your car should make about 250 at the wheels, and run high 12's to low 13's. At 19psi, it should put down 350 at the wheels and with great driving/launching should be able to hit high 11's. I lowered the compression ratio to 8.3:1 to run the high boost, also my engine got some porting done and a 3 angle valve job. All internals are forged, the pistons were custom made by Ross, the rods came from the turbo MR2 motor. I don't know exactly how much of this transfers from the MR2 5sfe to the Camry 5sfe, but it shouldn't be too different. I considered doing an engine swap, but I liked to torque output of the 5sfe. I'll have quarter mile times in a few months when it's broken in.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
boricua52385 said:
All internals are forged, the pistons were custom made by Ross, the rods came from the turbo MR2 motor.
Just adding to what you said.

You can't use the rods from a 3S-GTE as is. The rod journals on a 5S are bigger vs. a 3S, so the big end on the rods need to be enlarged.

Just wanted to clear this up, so we don't have noobs on here thinking that rods from a 3S-GTE will bolt right up to a 5S crank.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,768 Posts
BenG said:
I was under the impression that the 5S rods were forged from the factory?
Some are, some aren't... Even if they are forged, they can't handle 21psi of boost! On a stock 5s-fe, the weak spot is probably the pistons.

-Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts