Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 mr2/ 2010 tundra
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i"m looking for ways to beef up my 91 n/a. I've been looking along the lines of bigger fuel injectors. I'm looking for any input as far as ideas or suggestions. thanks

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,832 Posts
Unless you find a way to add more air to your fuel mix, bigger injectors will only make you run rich without any gains. Maybe even a loss as the environment in the cylinder chamber becomes too "wet" from all the unburned fuel.
Unfortunately, there's not much out there for the 5sfe. You can find a header , freer flowing exhaust and a CAI and maybe pick up 5-15 HP.
A lightened flywheel and pulley set will help you get more of the power to the ground and rev up quicker.
Cams, cam gears( for degreeing),higher capacity fuel pump,larger injectors and a tuned ECU are the best ways to get HP from an N/A.
But I know of no company that makes cams for the 5sfe. And the rest of that stuff is useless without them.

Turbocharging or Supercharging would be the way to go.

·
Registered
1988 SC MR2
13 Posts
You could make a 5sge out of it. Just get a 3sge with a spun rod bearing, use the head, manifolds, and all of the electronics with the 5s bottom end. Now you have a 2.2L with a freer flowing head and more agressive tune. You don't even need a BEAMS 3sge, the non-BEAMS will still be an upgrade, and dead cheap at that. Smog may be an issue though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts