Toyota Nation Forum banner

5spd Tranny Fluid???

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  LynchburgCSI 
#1 ·
Hey...Wondering if and how to change the MTF on my 5s?...I dont see a dipstick *Jimmy*:lol:...

Seeing this is my first time ever owning a 5spd...There are still a lot of questions I have and info to be gained on this...

So is the MTF flush and fill a thing that is done when you remove the tranny?

#2 ·
Manual transmissions don't have a dip stick. You have to do the "digital" test...just like a proctologist! ;)

How to check the fluid level on a manual transmission.
Park on a level spot.
Pull the fill bolt.
Insert finger and test the level. It should be within a 1/4" from the top of the fill hole. If not, top off.

Since yer changing the gear oil in yer transmission...I would highly recommend that you pull the fill bolt first. Seems the person who puts that on fer Toyota is trained to apply gorilla force in putting it on. Once you git that off, you should be able to pull the drain bolt to drain. ;)

#6 ·
From Manual

FILL TRANSAXLE WITH GEAR OIL
Oil:
Gear oil super (08885–02106) or equivalent
Recommended oil
oil grade:
API GL–3, GL–4 or GL–5
Viscosity:
SAE 75 W–90
Above –18 C (0 F) SAE 90
Below –18 C (0 F) SAE 75 W
Capacity:
2.6 liters (2.7 US qts, 2.3 Imp.qts)

LOL I just guessed when I put the 90 weight last time I changed it, but apparently I was correct. You can pick it up from various parts stores.

You just fill the transmission up with the 90 weight, the differential is in the same case as the gear shafts. Its not like an automatic where they are seperate :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I use the cheapie 85W Autozone brand or Oreilly's I can't remember which one...

I hate getting that crap on my hands - it has a very distincitive reek about it:thumbsdow Good thing it only needs replacement every blue moon!

#9 · (Edited)
If gear oil is what it takes, I'd use Valvoline SynPower meeting MT-1-GL5 but Mobil1 only meets GL5. BTW, I don't use Mobil-1 gear oils or greases. IMO they're not up to Valvoline.

Maybe 75W-90 will do? I think it's about $9/qt at O'Reilly's. The dino stuff is like $4/qt.

Edit: Right, as RX7 mentioned, some require GL4 for yellow metal and synchronized MT.

#10 ·
Is Redline or Royal Purple good for Gear Oil....I do like Royal Purple Motor Oil...but have never used their MTF....

I too HATE the smell of gear oil...u should smell what the oil in a lower unit for a boat outboard engine smells like...stinks for MONTHS.....I soaked my hoodie sleeve in it and couldnt get the smell off my arm for almost 4 days......had to throw the hoodie away.....:headbang:

#11 ·

Sorry about the crappy pic - I guess I use 75W instead of 85W - works great for me in -5*F (Chicago last year) to +107*F (Memphis in August)

I think this stuff was on special at the parts store got it when I changed a CV axle last winter

#14 · (Edited)
Manual transmission shift best with gear oils that are designed for synchro function.

All those rear-end GL5 gear oils are a compromise.

I usually use Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90. Both are GL4 75w90 gear oils specifically designed for MT usage.

Other good gear oils for your manual transmission are: Eneos MTF, Silkolene Silktran, Idemitsu MTF, Ford's XT-4-QGL or XT-M5-QS or XT-75W90-QGT, Nissan 999MP-MTF00P, Hyundai/Kia 08950-00020, GM 12346190, Chrysler 4637579, Redline 75w90NS, MotulGear300, Stalube GL4 85w90, Torco RTF...

I would avoid ANY GL5 LSD gear oil. Read the label as most sold at local stores are just that. LSD additive isn't friendly to quality synchro action. Cheap GL5 additives can cause yellow metal corrosion.

With a capacity of only 3 quarts, and a change interval of almost never, its wise to invest the $30 for a quality gear oil designed for manual transmissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.