Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's 4runner decided to start leaking oil sometime in the past 24 hours. She's got 25k miles, and borrowed my Tacoma to haul some stuff this morning. When I arrived at work I noticed a couple spots of oil. The oil level was still in the normal range, but there was obvious coating around the skid plate.

When I got home this evening I dropped the skid plates (making sure to break that stupid plastic grommet on the front, because, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to remove those without the head just popping off - so much better than just using a bolt, bless that engineer in all his/her wisdom), only to find oil everywhere. Both sides of the engine up above the head gasket, every oil line, hose, pulley, fan blade, front differential, CVs, oil pan, transmission pan, and cross members back to the rear driveshaft.

It is like a scene out of the anthropomorphic SUV version of SAW III. I have scheduled an appointment with Toyota to take a look at it, but they can't get to it for a couple of days. So, like any good wrencher, I went about trying to rule out obvious problems, oil filter gaskets? Good. Drain plug? Good. Obvious gasket issues? Found nothing. The only thing I can think at present is some kind of high pressure oil line spraying into the engine fan, which is blowing it back and coating everything, but, there is so much oil, it seems like it would be missing much on the dipstick. I've never had problems with Toyotas in the past, that wasn't of my own doing, (I've owned at at least 8) and I've not heard of a 4runner experiencing such a catastrophic failure, even after searching the interwebs. I was hoping to bounce the problem off some of you guys/gals.

Hopefully it's an easy fix, cuz, I'm relegated to driving a friends Ford until then (which, obviously I'm appreciative of, but, it's still a Ford).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:

So, we dropped the 4Runner off at the dealership Wednesday morning (1/15/20) per the appointment - they looked it over, cleaned off the oil, ran it in the shop for 15 minutes or so and couldn't get it to leak. They then proceeded to drive it for 10 miles and still found nothing.

We didn't need the vehicle back immediately, so they wanted to keep it over night and drive it some more today to see if they could replicate the oil leak - nothing. The car's engine lubrication system is apparently self healing. The dealership has nothing to offer other than, perhaps it was weather related, a blockage in the lines somewhere that was resolved. They said to come pick it up and bring it back in if it spontaneously starts spraying oil everywhere. 😒

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be some-what fair, it has been hovering around -10 to -15 degrees here the last few weeks, but the car is garage kept at night, and I've been driving Toyotas in MUCH colder (like -50) climates than this for over a decade and never experienced anything like this. Kinda disappointed, mainly because its unresolved and hard to trust magical leaks that disappear on their own when they occur in the power train of a 4500lb vehicle that travels at over 60mph with 500lbs of occupants and cargo in it on the regular.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts