'06 Avalon
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you do your own oil change and if the truck got some problems with it down the road ( like burned oil )..would that be your warrraty avoided it ?! just wondering.
I really do not know. I've never lost an engine and in my life, no one has ever changed my oil. I'm sure that a lot of dealers would try to blame the owner.

Some may respond and say that under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a dealer cannot tell you that you must have your oil changed at his facility. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure this congressional act would prevent a dealer from making such a demand. On another forum I recently saw a post by someone claiming that he is required to have all work performed at the Toyota dealership he purchased the vehicle from because he bought a life time warranty for his new Toyota. Again, I do not know if this is true or simply more of the usual type of BS dealers try to lay on people.

Reactions: truviet143

·
Registered
2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
529 Posts
if you do your own oil change and if the truck got some problems with it down the road ( like burned oil )..would that be your warrraty avoided it ?! just wondering.
If you have a new(er) 4Runner with the 2 year/25K mile free service, why wouldn't you let the dealer change the oil & filter for free? They actually use full synthetic oil & OEM filters.

I suspect that if your engine failed due to some sort of oil issue/problem, AND it was discovered (somehow) that either the oil or filter were not "as specified" (like 5-30W dino oil), Toyota would be well within their rights to void the warranty. Best to use what is specified in the Owner's Manual.

I do my own oil & filter changes too, but I will be using 0-20W Mobil 1 in our new 2014 4Runner after the first two years, as we won't put 25K miles on it in 2 years.

·
Registered
2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
529 Posts
Ok, just looked under our 2014 Trail we picked up yesterday. Eight bolts--some 10mm head & some 12mm head--and some sort of plastic plug(?) need to be removed to drop the front skid plate so the DIYer can get to the oil filter housing. Grrrr. The ONLY reason I can think of for switching to the little paper filter instead of the old can filter on top of the engine is some sort of odd cost-cutting, but boy, will it be inconvenient, time consuming, and dirty. Stupid.

Personally, I'll change my own oil & filter at 3000-4000 miles and then let Toyota change it again at 10,000. But, I'm kinda anal about oil, & 10K miles just seems like too many miles before a first oil change.

·
My Other Truck
4,355 Posts
Bump for a 4-year-old thread. Wife & I are kinda, sorta, maybe possibly thinking about getting a new 4Runner some day. I knew the filter change was different than our 2005 Tacoma with 1GR-FE engine and I wanted more detail, so I searched and found this thread. Very informative but not what I was hoping to hear.... in comparison, changing oil & filter will be a PITA.

Many of us have heard about oil change places that simply leave the old filter unchanged (and lie about it), and I can sure see a possibility of that happening with the 4Runner. I have been changing my oil & filter in everything I have owned for more than 50 years and will continue to do so. But not without some choice words for the folks responsible for turning a simple procedure into a more complicated one!

·
Read Only
3,913 Posts
Bump for a 4-year-old thread. Wife & I are kinda, sorta, maybe possibly thinking about getting a new 4Runner some day. I knew the filter change was different than our 2005 Tacoma with 1GR-FE engine and I wanted more detail, so I searched and found this thread. Very informative but not what I was hoping to hear.... in comparison, changing oil & filter will be a PITA.

Many of us have heard about oil change places that simply leave the old filter unchanged (and lie about it), and I can sure see a possibility of that happening with the 4Runner. I have been changing my oil & filter in everything I have owned for more than 50 years and will continue to do so. But not without some choice words for the folks responsible for turning a simple procedure into a more complicated one!
If you are talking about the paper cartridge filters that replaced the metal spin-on type, the industry is moving to those because of environmental disposal issues, especially as required in the EU.

There are now over 1 billon vehicles in the world that are still on the road. Paper cartridge filters have less impact on disposal, and retain less oil than metal spin-on filters.

There are other threads and YouTube videos that give you some tips on how to more easily change out the filters, as well discussing some after-market parts that make it easier to drain them.

·
My Other Truck
4,355 Posts
Agreed as to environmental issues driving the change away from spin-on filters. If we buy a 4Runner, I'll just learn to deal with it. It's just a time-consuming PITA compared to a spin-on, especially one that's so easy to access. Or I may look into remote filters, if in fact they are an improvement. Funny thing is, when I was 15 and working part-time in a service station, many cars used cartridge filters but they were nearly as easy to change as spin-ons.

·
Registered
07 Roush 427R Stang
59 Posts
I just bought my 4Runner last Friday. Being retired now, I doubt I will hit that oil change interval of 10,000 miles in the first year. The oil change process does appear somewhat time consuming but I will no doubt do it myself at some point. My last car (2003 Corolla) oil change I did myself the entire time I owned it and religiously change it every 3500 miles. Abit OCD but it ran like a champ the entire time. I will probably do the same with the 4Runner but I need to take advantage of the 2 year/25,000 mile free oil change gig!! I will work it out once I get some miles on it. It only has 256 miles on it so it will be awhile.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.