Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30 on my 95 Camry 2.2L. I live in Miami where we reach freezing temperatures of 40F during the dead of winter. My friend said that I'd be better using a 5W-30 b/c that's what comes standard in all sports cars. Anyone have any input? Also, I use the K&N Gold filter but want to use a larger (longer) filter, what is the longer version of the HP-1003?

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
You are using mobil 1, i think you'll be fine with either weight. It won't thin out like dino oil does after a while. In the owners manual it says which weight to use at which temperature, so you could trust that and go by that. Since you are in Miami and it is summertime, i might lean towards the 10 - 30 though.

·
RX-7 Restorations
18 Camry SE
1,570 Posts
also, your friend is mistaken on the weight that most sports cars use. most hp sports car will use a 0W30 grade for the high performance modles. my rx-7's use 20W50. they use such a thick weight because the oil is also used to help cool the engine, using a very large oil cooler. oil is also sprayed directly into the combustion chamber via an oil metering pump. not sure what "sports cars" your friend was talking about. you my friend are fine to run 10W30 in your camry year round. i have run it in my camry for 2 years round with no problems what so ever.

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
40F isn't freezing, freezing is 32F.

I recommend using 10W-30 during the summer, and if you change your oil often, 5W-30 in the winter should be okay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do know that 32F is freezing, it's a little south florida humor (btw, it's hotter than hell right now!). Does anyone know about using the larger filter? It doesnt only have to be K&N, Mobil 1 filters look good too. I just want a longer filter.

·
TN's Nikon Expert?
12,670 Posts
DBIGMAC1 said:
I do know that 32F is freezing, it's a little south florida humor (btw, it's hotter than hell right now!). Does anyone know about using the larger filter? It doesnt only have to be K&N, Mobil 1 filters look good too. I just want a longer filter.

i think there was something about using the oil filter from a rav4 or such...check the sticky up top

and also, no matter what anyone does to their car, a camry isnt a sports car

·
Registered
00 Camry 5sfe, 91 Je
38 Posts
use 10w30 I live in Missouri and have used that in the car for the last four years and its fine. My car is garaged and the winters here have been very warm for a few years now. the cap says 5w30 but I feel that is to thin. but this is just my opinion....
Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about when i do pass the 100K mark? The guy at pep boys said to switch to a 10-40 but I only ever believe to half of what they have to say. Stick with the 10-30 or go to 10-40?

·
TN's Nikon Expert?
12,670 Posts
2.6. Bigger OEM oil filter that fits?
Question:
Bigger OEM oil filter that fits?
Answer:
For 3VZ-FE (Gen3) / 1MZ-FE (Gen3,4) / 3MZ-FE (Gen5) Camry V6 engines:

This is the part # for Toyota OEM filter: 90915-YZZD3

This filter is off from the 4Runner and Land Cruiser, it's slightly longer with (arguably) better filtration. Price should be the same as any Camry V6 oil filter.

For 5S-FE (Gen3, 4) Camry 4-cylinder engines:

Use this oil filter coming off from Rav4: 90915-YZZA1

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
How about when i do pass the 100K mark? The guy at pep boys said to switch to a 10-40 but I only ever believe to half of what they have to say. Stick with the 10-30 or go to 10-40?
Most of the people who work at pep boys are idiots, or incompetent, or dishonest cheats, or all of the above. That's been my experience.
The real answer is to look in your owners manual, or on the oil cap, it will probably say "5w-30" on it. To me, toyota built the car, they know what oil they want put in it and i trust them before i trust a minimum wage parts clerk at Pep boys.

·
RX-7 Restorations
18 Camry SE
1,570 Posts
use 10W30 and nothing else unless it drops below the freezing temp stated in your owners manual and then use 5W30. the reason for that is because when its cold, oil thickens up and takes more time to travel through the engine on a cold start up, causing a little engine wear. using a thinner oil helps the oil flow to the critical parts faster. flows like a 5 weight, protects to a 30 weight. flows like a 10, protect to a 30.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Actually Toyota recommends 5W-30 for most of its newer engines for better fuel economy and efficiency. In our 2000 Camry manual it says use 10W-30 only if 5W-30 cannot be obtained, then switch back to 5W-30.

You can run 5W-30 year round. 5W-30 is best for the engine since it flows faster during the critical initial startup. In extremely hot ambient temperatures, 120F+, I'd use 5W-40/10W-40.

·
RX-7 Restorations
18 Camry SE
1,570 Posts
ok, here's what the owner's manual says to use. this should settle all questions:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That doesn't settle anything, because it's from 1992. I said all newer Toyota engines use 5W-30.

It says it on your oil cap: "API SJ or SM, Energy Conserving, SAE 5W-30"

In the newer service manuals and owner's manuals, it'll have a graph which shows 5W-30 as preferred with 10W-30 on top.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently using Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30 on my 95 Camry 2.2L. I live in Miami where we reach freezing temperatures of 40F during the dead of winter. My friend said that I'd be better using a 5W-30 b/c that's what comes standard in all sports cars. Anyone have any input? Also, I use the K&N Gold filter but want to use a larger (longer) filter, what is the longer version of the HP-1003?
Freezing? In Miami? You were kidding right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts