Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Corolla LE
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I had to take a trip up to see my parents and my other brothers. I normally take all interstate but decided to do a little experiment. I decided to go all back roads.

Before I left I filled my car up as far as I could, aired the tires up to ~40 psi, and hit the state hiways. I decided to just run 55 mph with no A/C (LH windows and sunroof open) on those back roads, and state hiways. I left at about 8 pm and it actually got a bit chilly. I had to close all the windows and just run the fan at one point.

Most of the way, I didn't feel I was going slow, it just felt comfortable, and very few passed, it was late and dark most of the way too. There were some sections of 4 lane of 65 mph zones. I just kept going 55 in the slow lane because I wasn't in a hurry.

I went about 470 miles (there and back) like this. Then I drove my car to work and back for 3 days, keeping my speeds down. I have backroads until I get to work too.

Once I had 550 miles on the tank, I decided that I was going to try to get 600 miles. Even if I wound up on the side of the road (dumb chick) run out of gas, i was going to try it.

I didn't run out of gas! I put 606.9 miles on the tank. I again filled it as high as I could get it. I put in 13.781 gallons.

That's 44 mpg guys! I'm in the 600 mile club!! :whatwhat:

Is there anyone else who thinks they can join? Don't let a girl beat you! ;) :D

·
Registered
2004 Corolla LE
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nobody's forcing your foot to the floor!

You don't have to beat me. There's really nothing to beat. I'm just wondering if any of you will have the chance to do some high fuel economy runs and put 600 miles on a tank of gas.

I should change my 'beat me,' blurb and just say, "who wants to try to join me in the 600 mile club?"

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,674 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I find it somewhat hard to believe the car went 600+miles on a tank.. :eek: specially when the car is rated for 31mpg highway. I can see 400, maybe 450, 500 would be pushing it while running on fumes.. 600 miles.. that's a lot of downhill driving with the motor turned off. :)

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
That is a little hard to believe. In terms i can work out - That is 950km on Just under 50L of gas.

The most i can get on my 2001 Pulsar (Rated at a comprative figure to the new Corollas) is 600km on a 40L tank... so if i used another 10L - i would get maybe 750km. And that is travelling at 120km/h (Roughly 75mph) which is its best fuel economy by far... Especcially since it is an Auto...

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
How big are your tanks??, 13.781Gallons = 52 Liters, both my levin and trueno only have 50L tanks,

My best in my trueno (4afe) was 360miles (580km) off 11.09 Gallons, so thats 32mpg.
(I wasn't trying to be nice to it though)

·
Registered
2004 Corolla LE
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
REN69 said:
I don't know about you guys but I find it somewhat hard to believe the car went 600+miles on a tank.. :eek: specially when the car is rated for 31mpg highway. I can see 400, maybe 450, 500 would be pushing it while running on fumes.. 600 miles.. that's a lot of downhill driving with the motor turned off. :)
REN - The car is an 04 5 speed. It is rated 34 - 40 from what I remember. I have the window sticker at home. So, its rated for 40 mpg hiway ... not 31. I ran a 230 mile path that were mostly 55 mph zones ... where I did 55.

There were about 3 towns that I passed through, but I didn't get bogged down. Stopped for something to eat and the ladies room. No A/C. This isn't the lowest I've taken the tank, but the needle was center on the E line. I've managed to squeeze 14.0X gallons in it one time.

I guess I get these little ideas to do this from having brothers who really get into cars. Whether you believe it or not doesn't change the fact that this is reality.

Sony - I wanted a cute car that fit a girl, so I bought a Corolla. I guess you drive like a girl too, since you drive a girl car! Ha! :D

Punter - The tank in the book says 13.1 or 13.2 gallons (50L). That's the tank. I fill it up until I can see it in the neck. So, I got 52L or 13.781 gallons. Not only does it sound realistic, it happened. Geez, I didn't think I'd have to take digital pictures to prove it.

Just FYI, if I only drive to work, and using the A/C driving fast, I barely get 500 miles and get about 36 mpg.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
low speed doesn't always mean the best fuel economy. With my mom's windstar for instance. Revs the same at 140 or 150 as it does at 90 km/h... so not only am I getting there faster but the engine isn't working any harder to hold me at that speed.

and canadianae92 I am the same. at 140 km/h I am reving at 4 grand! like damn.... But yea made it from barrie to toronto one time in 25 min, was accidental... SO yea I may burn more fuel but I am only taking 25 min instead of an hour :D

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,674 Posts
Flashmn said:
Amber drives a stickshift, which is more masculine than the automatics you guys have. :lol: :naughty:
Nice! I don't know too many women who drive stick.. personally, only my cousin (female) and my other cousin's wife. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.