Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
so what
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did 60k maintenance service for about $250 and brakes for another $140.

Mechanic "recommended" to replace WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, & some DRIVE BELTS for another $500+. He said I dont have to replace now but doesnt recommend driving long distance without replacing. Seem odd to replace since truck is still fairly new so I declined. What do you guy think? My gut tells me its not necessary. When should these be replaced?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Total bullshit, Belts might be considered for replacement at 5 years if they are cracking, thermostat, replace that IF it goes bad, easy to diagnose, water pump give me a break. :rolleyes:

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Find a new mechanic. Did he do your service for $250 or did you perform it yourself?

·
so what
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Find a new mechanic. Did he do your service for $250 or did you perform it yourself?
He did the service, not capable or have time to do it myself. My friend and I been going to him for about 10 yrs now. Lately, Ive been noticing hes recommending to fix additional BS. Any good/honest mechanics in SoCal?

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
Total bullshit, Belts might be considered for replacement at 5 years if they are cracking, thermostat, replace that IF it goes bad, easy to diagnose, water pump give me a break. :rolleyes:
We finally agree on something! :clap: Wads is right...belts you want to check for cracks and cracks. However if you plan on going on a long road trip I would replace them because they are cheap and easy to do. Thermostat...lol! And you will know when the H20 pump goes out! ;)

He did the service, not capable or have time to do it myself. My friend and I been going to him for about 10 yrs now. Lately, Ive been noticing hes recommending to fix additional BS. Any good/honest mechanics in SoCal?
First off say yourself some damn money...go buy a service manual...get some tools...and learn about your vehicle. At least that is what I do with all my vehicles. I like to wrench on stuff and save money...it isn't that hard if you can read/comprehend and apply common sense. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,161 Posts
On the water pump, I can see them giving that standard answer. For the previous gen highlander, it's recommended you replace the water pump when the timing belt is changed because they tend to not last until the second timing belt change...and you have to remove all of it anyway to get to the water pump. So for the HL, you save a lot of labor by doing them both at once. My guess is that's what was going on in their heads. Of course, it was the wrong service (not a timing belt change) and the wrong vehicle.:lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
All that stuff @ 60,000? I call b.s. You can do a visual inspection of your belts....as for the others..I would look into those when you do the timing belt or you see pink fluid leaking. I have had a few Toyota trucks well with close to 200,000 miles on them and my water pump was fine. Get a second or even 3rd opinion or go with your gut..

Good luck!

·
Registered
Tacoma 4x4
65 Posts
I thought Tacomas had timing chains, not belts...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
We finally agree on something! :clap:
I changed my mind, the service tech is correct, all those items should be changed every 60 thousand, those assholes in Japan that write the service manual don't tell you that so your truck will die and you have to buy a new one.

$500 is cheap too.;)

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
i believe that the only tacoma engine that has a belt is the previous gen V6, other than that, were all chain!

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
As long as the water pump isn't plastic, which I don't think it is, someone please answer that though.... I would just check your belts and go.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
We got timing chains, and it's only recommended at 100k to change, and thats only recommended.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
The water pumps on the previous Tacoma 3.4 L V6 was usually prone to leaking by the time the timing belt needed changing - I speak from experience - 2 actually. It was recommended by many (not by Toyota BTW) that since the front of the engine was torn down to replace the timing belt, the water pump could be replaced also with very little extra effort. This was common procedure for many members of the Older Tacoma Forum.

Your mechanic may have assumed that this was the case with the newer generation taco as well.

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
We got timing chains, and it's only recommended at 100k to change, and thats only recommended.
what is recommended? i currently have 115k miles, and am looking at what sort of maintenance i need to do, as i purchased the truck w/ 85k as a certified used truck.

·
p00pernickel
Toyota Tacoma
500 Posts
My water pump already went bad, they replaced it under warranty a few months ago. and the damn belt is squeaking in the mornings... lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts