Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been searching all over and looking at which engine gets the best gas mileage, i was assuming the 4cyl would get the best. From what i have seen they are both consistant with each other, ive seen from 18 to 24 mpg for both of them. I was wondering if maybe some of you could tell me which would get the better gas mileage? And fogetting bout gas mileage, which engine do you thnk would be the best to get, for just using the vehicle as my daily driver, and maybe carying heavy loads every great once in a while, which do you think would be my best bet?

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
The best mileage will be from a 2WD 4 cyl with a manual transmission; the worst from a 4WD V6 auto trans. But the difference between "best" and "worst" is at most 3 or 4 MPG highway, and less in city.

So given that, I'd try to drive both a 4 and a 6 and see which one you like better. If you're satisfied with the way the 4 drives, then certainly go that way and get the added fuel economy. But of course, a bigger engine option will give you more acceleration and more hauling/towing capacity.

I didn't have the opportunity to drive a 4; I only found 6's with auto trans. (Although I can drive stick, I didn't want it on a truck.) For a daily driver with nothing in the bed, I think the 6 is more power than I need. For example, It's easy to get the rear wheels to break away on acceleration from a stop in 2WD. Without a side-by-side comparison, I'd say the 4 could very well do the job for you.

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
FWIW, stock, I got about 25 with my 2.4l (2004). I have a bike hitck rack that acts as an anchor now so I dropped to about 23-24. I just installed a roof rack so I will probably drop another 2.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah go out and drive the two, yes the 4 banger gets better milage. I had read here before I bought mine about how if you're not hauling a lot to get the 4. I test drove a 2.7L and imo it was a dog. Maybe if I put the pedal to the floor it might have woken up a little bit but even if it did I wouldn't want to drive it like that all the time. My previous truck was a 89 w/22R and thats how I'd have to drive it or I'd get run over. Anyway after test driving the 2.7 I got into a 6 cylinder, and personally it too lacks power but is much better than the 4 cylinder. Unless I got a turd from the factory I don't see how you can bark the tires from a stop unless you really get on it. I think if I put a supercharger on it it'd be about perfect, but I'm a little nervous about doing modifications to this truck. Anyway drive them both and make the decision yourself, its all about what YOU want and need the truck to do.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2001 Toyota Tacoma
56 Posts
I would opt for the V6 for power and the mileage isn't too bad. I usually get 19-21 on the highway depending on whether I'm driving 55 or 75. I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 xtra cab V6 with the 5spd manual tranny. The worst I ever got was pulling a dump tralier in 4th all day loaded with sand I got 16.7 MPG. Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You all def helped. Ill prob just test drive both of them and see which i like more. Figuring the gas mileage is pretty close to the same for both of them, ill see which one perfoms better and make my decesion from there. Thanks alot.

·
C-5 Mekinik
237 Posts
I have a 2002 2.7 4wd auto. For communting(8 miles to work on back roads)/around town running I consistently get 19 +/-.5 MPG. Keep in mind this is with the mandatory 10% ethanol fuel we here in Delaware are being forced to use. With regular, non-ethanol, fuel I would expect 20-21mpg. For an example, our 99 Honda CR-V was getting a consistent 25 MPG around town prior to the ethanol fuel. It now gets mid 23s.

·
Registered
87 and 98 toyota PU
33 Posts
Hi I've got a 4 cyl 1987 pu and a 6 cyl tacoma and the 4 cyl gets much better mileage and can also haul quite well for a small truck. it doesn't have the get up and go though but i use it way more for day to day driving. i use the bigger one for driving through snow and mud and for clearance in heavy snow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dan1701z said:
Unless I got a turd from the factory I don't see how you can bark the tires from a stop unless you really get on it.
I'm not sure this is possible, I have NEVER chirped mine, I have spun them accidently during rain, and on gravel, and I was very suprised they spun then I barely pressed the gas...I have a 96' 2.7 ltr 4 cyl. that consistantly gets 21 MPG, the best I have ever had was 24 MPG (a couple of times), and the worst I have had was 15 MPG (on the way to Austin, tx from Dallas tx, and back doing 70 MPH, I got a whole 175 miles on the tank). I drive the truck everyday 45 minutes to class, and it does very well and when it is running well or in a good mood it has decent acceleration and pull, but its usually pretty sluggish (on going problem).

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I guess I've got a lead foot. I've been driving AWD or full-time 4WD SUV's too long!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get like 16.5mpg on a '04 V6 PreRunner automatic. That is kinda bad right? I just changed my air filter to a K&N one, so maybe my MPG will go up. Anything else I can do to increase my MPG?

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I'd rethink that K&N air filter... lots of posts about how some oil on the filter element messes up the mass air flow (MAF) sensor.

Back on point, 16.5 is OK if you're mostly city driving.

·
Registered
98 tacoma
1 Posts
i have just gotten a 98 tacoma 2.4 5 speed a couple of weeks ago and im getting 34 hiway and 28 city. a buddy just got an 06 tacoma 4wd w 4.0 and auto and hes getting around 18 combined. his truck weighs over 1000lbs more than mine.

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma 4X4 Ext.
66 Posts
I have a 2000 2.7 4x4 with 31x10.50's and I get 19.5 going back and forth to work which is 34 miles round trip with 30 miles on the highway combined with in town driving. Just got back from a trip to North Carolina about 800 miles total and with the cruise set on 65 I got 21.7 and that includes driving through the mountains in NC. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just sold a 97 w/ 2.4 and 5-spd that got 28 MPG because I thought I wanted a newer one with auto trans. I bought a 2000 with 2.4 auto. Same driving nets 20MPG. I want my old one back.

·
Registered
1992 xtra cab 4x4
356 Posts
im pretty steady at 21 on the highway (4x4 3.4L auto) on cruise at around 75-85mph.
also sticks right at 16.5 around town, but im a bit of a lead foot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts