Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Supra dreams
90 Celica ST
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so I am about to sell my 240sx and save a little money over the next few months. fix up my celica a little and then buy another car.

I'm either looking at an MR2 for a beams swap. Another 240sx shell to swap in a 1uz. Or a 6th gen Corolla sedan. Most likely fwd as I've never seen an All trac around here.

I've never been able to find much info on boosting a 4afe in a celica but I've heard people have done it in a Corolla before.

Does anybody here have any knowledge or information on boosting a 4afe ae92 corolla?
I'm also curious as to if any 3s swaps are easily done in these, or if people make mount kits. Or if there are any other decent swaps (preferably more torque than a 4age) that can be done in an ae92 corolla?

I'd love to get one of these looking real clean and also a bit of a sleeper.

·
Living on a Rock
1,725 Posts

·
Supra dreams
90 Celica ST
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot man.

I have seen that guy's 4afte before.. didn't even think about it though
TOTALLY MISSED that BEAMS swap. Thanks you very much for that!

the torque one... v6 swap?

and the all trac.. eehhh it's a wagon haha. Do you live in CO Springs or did you do a big CL search?

Is the coupe and the sedan almost the same? as far as engine/bay/suspension etc... For example would a strut bar for the coupe fit the sedan? Suspension interchangeable?

·
Living on a Rock
1,725 Posts
Thanks a lot man.

I have seen that guy's 4afte before.. didn't even think about it though
TOTALLY MISSED that BEAMS swap. Thanks you very much for that!

the torque one... v6 swap?

and the all trac.. eehhh it's a wagon haha. Do you live in CO Springs or did you do a big CL search?

Is the coupe and the sedan almost the same? as far as engine/bay/suspension etc... For example would a strut bar for the coupe fit the sedan? Suspension interchangeable?
yeah nothing like a V6 to throw down torque. and it's in a AE92. alltrac weather it's a wagon or sedan it uses a totally different rear suspension than a FWD setup. but sedan, wagon, coupe all share the same chassis. you can take the suspension from a GTS coupe and put it on your sedan. same with strut bar and engine. we got a 16V 4age in my bro's wagon.

i don't live in co. but i use searchtempest on occasion. it searches ALL the CL's and gives me results when i'm looking for something. :thumbsup:

·
Supra dreams
90 Celica ST
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ha okay cool.
Just wondering about CO Springs really.. I showed searchtempest to my friend the other day actually.

I wonder how much of a pain that v6 swap is.. Like mounts and everything. Sounds like a lot, as well as utilizing a manual trans.

I was and still am considering the 20v or 16v but who knows.. How fun is your brothers car? I'd love to ride in a 20v swapped anything..

Are all ae92's fwd, even the gt-s? And would sideskirts from one fit the others?

And last but not least. If I were able to find an all trac sedan, I wonder how difficult it'd be to swap in a 3sgte from an all trac celica..?

My biggest problem now is the availability of engine mounts for other swaps. Custom mounts are not something I can come by easily. And the ae92 is definitely not the biggest thing for swaps haha.

·
Supra dreams
90 Celica ST
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Whether or not you disagree (I know I'm working with a generally older crowd on these forums) this is what I'd like.

I'd love a car that looks this good (reliable too, like a toyota. especially the 4afe.. its just slow!)
Manual, my Celica is auto. Kills me.

FWD is not my favorite thing in the world, but I can live with it, especially if my car has the power to keep up with the crowd. This is where an all trac would be great!

Other things though:
What suspension are they using? Last time I checked somebody was telling me retrofitting celica coilovers would be my best bet - but I'm sure there are gts coilovers somehwere!

that rear lip.. where in the US could you find that?

that front grill... "

the front lips...the sideskirts.. "

are the tail lights even completely the same?

·
Living on a Rock
1,725 Posts
Front lip looks custom or the bumper cover from another car like a civic. Rear bumper probably the same. Side skirts are oem gts skirts modded(cut) to fit the rear doors. Yes they will fit sedan with a little modification. Wagon too if you add a little fiberglass. There was a guy out here that had civic front and rear as well as side skirts on his 7th gen. It was some fiberglass work cutting but got them to fit and look good.

As for suspension any 88-02 corolla setup(not fx the rears are different) will fit. You can go the cheap eBay sleeve route or spend some $ and get a good set of full body adjustable dampening coil overs. Then you can get that stance you want and still ride somewhat nice. You pay for what you get. Jic Cusco tien are nice nut pricey.

That rear tail setup looks like a Jdm one on the right and sprinter(geo prizm) on the left as the drive away at the end. If you want a set hit up kiwi on here. I think he still has a set. The grill goes with that front end. It is very hard to find and very expensive. It requires different plugs for the headlights. But it is a bolt in.

·
Supra dreams
90 Celica ST
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Man that sounds like more pain than its worth...

I wonder if there's any other way to get a front end similar to that without having to do the conversion. Most importantly the grill, the headlights aren't too bad.

I appreciate all of your help though! Coming from local forums and Zilvia where everybody is a d**k, it's great to have a nice break on these forums.

Tails just seem to have different positions of the lights, they look longer.. maybe a similar look is possible with some candy apple red tint.

·
Living on a Rock
1,725 Posts
i have an account on zilvia too... yeah there's alot of aholes that troll the various forums. i know there's an alternative to the "sprinter" or wagon front. you can just get the JDM grill that fits the normal lights like how the car in the first video is. the second video has the sprinter/wagon front end. those are RARE.

i still think the rears on the car in the second video on the left look like a geo prizm.
this is a JDM sprinter

and this is the man you wanna see if you can get the front from
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/6...-ae92-corolla-jdm-diesel-wagon-face-rare.html

he might be able to get the rear too. if you are looking for a bumper alternative, i'd recommend checking out cardomain and seeing what others are running. i'm sure you'll come across one sooner or later.

here's one from cardomain with the JDM tails

·
Supra dreams
90 Celica ST
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thanks. I'm looking into that 95 jetta lip now actually.. I'm on a slow backup computer so it's difficult to keep all this together ha,

As far as the JDM grill that fits in where can I find that? My searches aren't showing anything.

I like the JDM rear from cardomain, also saw a the DIY for clear tails. Gonna look into that more as well

·
Living on a Rock
1,725 Posts
everything i'm reading points to the jetta lip fitting the best. might have to take a bit out of the middle though. but it should work. as for the JDM grill, hit up kiwi. he'll be your best bet for that, even if it's not the wagon/sprinter front.

·
BackYard Engineering
269 Posts
It has always puzzled me why people swap out 4afe for a 4age 16v. They put down almost the same hp stock 4afe puts down more torque and puts it down sooner . If you want a bit more punch a 4age 16v swap is a waste of $. You better off turbo'ing your 4afe.

A turbo 4afe built for under $800 will put down way more hp and tq than a 4age swap that will cost the same ore more. Also 4afe replacement parts are cheaper and easier to come by.

·
Supra dreams
90 Celica ST
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A turbo 4afe built for under $800 will put down way more hp and tq than a 4age swap that will cost the same ore more. Also 4afe replacement parts are cheaper and easier to come by.
you have a great point.. but how reliable would that be?

does anybody have a 4afte ae92?

I was going to turbo my KA24DE in my 240sx until I realized I'd be in over my head.

Most appealing is a 4agze-4agte, or a 4age 20v (minus the lack of torque, although it's close to a 1zz, which isn't TERRIBLE). And most of all a BEAMS 3sge or 3sgte.

If I could get an all trac and do a 3sgte, that'd be amazing. But I'm not expecting that at all.
And I know mounts for that swap would not be easy to come by.

How reliable is the 4afte? Does it take a lot of part sourcing to be reliable?

·
Supra dreams
90 Celica ST
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pretty sure I saw that rdyzz was running 14's with the BEAMS swap in his coupe..?

That'd be AMAZING for me. Between my extended group of friends, the standards for a rather fast car is basically the e36 M3. My friend went out to the drag strip in his and got 14.1. So me, the only Toyota guy besides Supra fans, would blow everyone away with an ae92 that can come close to keeping up with his M3.

·
BackYard Engineering
269 Posts
Rdyzz hasn't timed the car yet. I was the one who told him my friend run 14.6 with a gen 3 3sge in an ae101 levin. His beams swap should be around 14.6 or a a lil faster.

You don't have to go too far to find a reliable 4afte . Jamz 's 4afe is making somewhere around 165 whp for a few years now and that set up is made from bare essentials.

To turbo your car you will need
Turbo
Oil lines
Turbo manifold
Downpipe
Intercooler and pipes
Bov
And some sort of fuel management

If you look around real hard you can do it for $5-600 and not have any issues with reliability.

·
Supra dreams
90 Celica ST
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmm.. I wonder what the best route really will be. I need to get myself a Corolla and then go from there ha.

I just wish it had more aftermarket support. Are there any oem big brakes for the ae92? Or anything similar?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.