Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, would the awd system (including transmission and engine) from a 6th gen GT4 fit into the north american 6th gen GTS? Or is there some differences in the design of the st204 (the 6th gen fwd) that prevents such a modification from taking place?

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
i know its cant be done on the 4th gen. the reason for this if cause the frame is not strong to handly that power at the Rear wheels, (if you want i can link you a post to a guy who tryed this with the 4th gen.) i would say dont try it, cause in the end you will endup distroing(sp?) the car. sorry man but just trying to save you from doing something will ant worth it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was just a random thought. I haven't got the money to try something like this. here's another idea: what about importing a st205 from Japan or Europe and then converting to left hand drive by swapping the interior from a north american st204?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think there is actually someone who is converting his 6th generation st to a gtfour. Thats some work hes getting himself into. He bought a gtfour that was cut up in half. Hes in the process of swapping parts.

So yeah, a gtfour conversion can be done. Its just too much work and too much money. Not impossible though.

Also, I'm sure there are quite a few gtfour's that have been imported to the US. You just don't ever hear about them.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
TubRog5 said:
I think there is actually someone who is converting his 6th generation st to a gtfour. Thats some work hes getting himself into. He bought a gtfour that was cut up in half. Hes in the process of swapping parts.
Hmph... I'd like to see that.
He would have to cut the car's firewall and floor panel just to make space for the bigger tranny and the transfer case, and we all know that by law a car with a cut firewall is ilegal

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
tubrog5: the swap is done, but had did a hell of a time with the frame to make it hold the force of 4wd.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Edward_H said:
tubrog5: the swap is done, but had did a hell of a time with the frame to make it hold the force of 4wd.
I wasn't aware at all that it was done. I haven't heard anything about it for the longest time. So, I just assumed it wasn't finished yet. I'm sure he's loving it.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
I'll just spend money to buy a real GT4. By the time you finish the swap, it'll cost more then the real thing. Also in the end you got a chop and patch car. You'll be lucky if it'll ever go straight :rolleyes:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, some people actually like to take on the challenge of building whats not available where they are. You learn a lot in the process and have true bragging rights. Would you feel better after accomplishing a project? Or after just buying something?

Besides, the main point of building a project is to gain knowledge. Not just to have something few people have.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you have a daily driver, and are going to do a swap thats fine, but when you plan on doing a swap on a car that is your daily driver, your looking to be car-less for a while. I had to do a straight, 5S-FE swap when I blew my old motor, and let me tell you, it isnt that easy to be without a car. Especially when your dependant on it, and you sitting around waiting for parts, wiring diagrams, etc. I know those who are reading this think, a 5th gen 5s-FE is all the same, well its not. A lot of the wire colours change, as well as certain sensors being in different places. If you have a lot of time on your hands and enough money to do it, thats great, but when your in school full time, working, and have limited time to your car, its a very long process. Id love to have done the swap, but when your tight for cash, and need your car on the road asap, it puts you in a different perspective. My dream was to do the JDM ST-205 3S-GTE, in my 5th gen, but due to cash and lack of a second daily driver, it aint happening any time soon. Hope this has shed some new perspective on those thinking that motor swaps are simple. Dont forget, the minute a different motor is put in, theres lots of troubleshooting. Best of luck with all the swaps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input! The reason I was asking is because the st205 was never available in north america. It would be something more or less unique. Right now it's nothing more than a dream though.

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
:eek: hmm if i had the money and a 6gen i would so build that (looks like all he move is the gas tank.. but im betting there is more going on under the car.. if my next car turns out to be a celica i will keep this swap/conversion at the back of my mind.):thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
^Thats a beaut, only problem I have with it, is that he calls it a GT-FOUR, alltrac (alltrac is ST-16#, and ST-18# series celicas) and it says that the motor is a 4cyl, 2.2L (alltracs and GT-FOURs are 2.0L) I think he tried to put way to much info for the headline (JDM 1994 ST205 GT-Four All-Trac Turbo 3S-GTE TRD). He also states that it is a true JDM car, meanwhile it was a swap. JDM=Japanese Domestic Market, meaning it would be from Japan. Looks really good, some high end parts(Blitz, HKS, Apex-i, etc), and Im sure he spent a ton of money, but $12,000 USD, is steep, for a swap anyways. Dont mean to be all negative, but just thought Id throw in my 3 cents.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
A project is nice but start with a good platform. Think about it in order to swap AWD, you're buying the whole car almost. Why not just use the whole thing?
Its different if you swap to a non AWD available car like Corolla GTS. That's a good project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey I have a 25th annv. celica I also want to make it AWD, but I can't seem to find the drivetrain parts anywere for sale does anybody here know where I can get them?

P.S New to the forum nice to meat you all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man I must have missed that one. I guess I have to keep looking for the drivetrain parts. I have the motor and the gas tank ready to go, but it is not much fun without the AWD. I want to make my Celica in an AWD monster!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts