Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 celica st (1.8). my altinator belt broke so i replaced it.:) it started right up. so a couple days went by and all was good. until i started it up one day, drove ten feet and it stalled. this was three weeks ago and im out of ideas:confused: . does any one have any ideas?? i replaced the spark plugs and wirs, and checked the distributer and rotor. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

·
Scoobie Killer
113 Posts
Have you tried recharging the battery??? It may have run too flat for the altanator to charge up by itself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a brand new battery. the motor cranks, but doesnt turn over. Does anyone think the motor might be blown??

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
First things first. All engines need fuel and spark to run. Are you getting both or one and not the other?

How did you check the distributor and rotor?

Does it seem to be turning over much easier/faster than ever before and not starting?

I've seen timing belts let go before for no apparent reason. One of the tell tale signs is unusually easy cranking. You can also remove the ditributor cap and see if the rotor turns while you are cranking the motor.

It could be lots of things so I'm just throwing out a couple of easy, free things to check.

Unless you were having other troubles before the altenator repair, I would doubt the motor is blown. It is not completely outside the realm of possibilty but not very likely if everything was fine before.

Post back with some more details. I'm sure someone here will be able to help once there is a little more information to go on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i removed the cap and just looked at it, no crakes..... and the rotor didnt look burnt or craked. but the motor does seem to turn a bit easier. i can smell gas when i try to start it. i have a cold air intake, so it gets plenty of air. idk.... im out of ideas. HELP

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It sounds like you are probably getting fuel if you can smell it. Try removing the cap and cranking the engine. Look to see if the rotor is turning consistantly while the engine is cranking.

If it is, check to be sure you are getting a good strong spark. If not, then your timing belt may be the culpret.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Don't give up just yet! What about spark? Pull one of the spark plugs and lay it against a metal surface in the engine compartment with the wire attached. Have someone crank the motor while your looking at the plug. You want to see a nice bright, strong spark, not a dim yellow one. Check each one so you can compare the strength of the spark, unless you aren't getting any at all. Also take a good look at each plug as you remove them and see if there is one or two that have been clearly burning differently than the rest.

The more information you have the better people can offer advice. There are a lot of knowledgable Toyota folks here. You should also get yourself the service manual for it. Once you find an issue, like weak or no spark for example, the manual will help you troubleshoot exactly where the problem is.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
absolutly no spark, none what so ever. i have been told that replacing the entire disdriputer will fix this?? Thank all of you for all of your help so far!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts