Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1997 toyota avalon, similar to 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999.
my tape deck was making mechanical noise, so i decided to upgrade the stereo to aftermarket stereo, but then i saw these cheap $70 android that nearly matched the size of my stereo.
i'm getting a small white noise when there's no music playing, and the radio is not as good as before, but now i have gps navigation, bluetooth, and even youtube and gmail etc.
i've made a video showing what i did.

sorry it's not very detailed because i ran into a lot of problems and it's my first time doing this.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Not many people have done a video on Double Din installs on 1st gen Avalons. Should help some new folks out. Only thing I would correct is the electrical tape, it's bound to come unstuck, cause an electrical short, and then fry your equipment. Put on some crimp connectors instead. BMR, he's got some useful captions on it. Maybe worth getting it stickied?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not many people have done a video on Double Din installs on 1st gen Avalons. Should help some new folks out. Only thing I would correct is the electrical tape, it's bound to come unstuck, cause an electrical short, and then fry your equipment. Put on some crimp connectors instead. BMR, he's got some useful captions on it. Maybe worth getting it stickied?
Thanks, I'll change them to proper connectors soon.

Do you think it's ok that I connected the red wire to power both android and the amp?

Any tips on getting rid of white noise? It's not too bad, and there's no white noise when there isn't any song/sounds playing.

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
Stickied.

Connecting two things to the red wire is probably OK. It didn’t blow a fuse, right? They don’t pull too much power. If one was a high powered amp, then maybe.

The white noise is probably due to the head unit. You could try putting a filter on the power wire, but that may or may not help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great video!! Do we need to install that scoshe thing? I have a cheap wish.com one that I went to install, and I ordered a connector. It didn’t fit 😕 I may have put the wrong part#. I ordered another should be here in a couple of days.
The other question I have is the 2 (radio) connectors in the factory deck. I’ve never seen 2?? Just usually the one bigger one. What are these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great video!! Do we need to install that scoshe thing? I have a cheap wish.com one that I went to install, and I ordered a connector. It didn’t fit 😕 I may have put the wrong part#. I ordered another should be here in a couple of days.
The other question I have is the 2 (radio) connectors in the factory deck. I’ve never seen 2?? Just usually the one bigger one. What are these.
I think the only harness that fits my old Toyota is the Metra 70-8112, so I had to buy it.
Then I noticed the harness had 4 RCA output cables for FR,FL,RR,RL speakers, which needed someplace to be plugged into: the scosche line output converter(LOC).
I was able to strip the wires from the aftermarket android and feed them into the LOC.

So yeah, I think you do need some sort of LOC if you are gonna use a harness that has 4 RCA cables.
If your aftermarket radio has 4 RCA inputs already, then you wouldn't need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts