Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
1975 Corona, '79 Truck, '85 Land Cruiser
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the only place on the internet I can find any mention of the Corona, let alone a knowledge base- so here I am. 馃槤

Forums are an invaluable resource for projects and I could use advice for this one, I am a Land Cruiser guy, know those insideout, but the cars are all new to me.

A buddy and I happened upon a poor discarded Corona at an insurance auction, it was badly damaged but with only 56k miles was also in great shape at the same time. We got it for minimum bid and have been wanting to bring it back to it's former glory, after years of storage I am finally tackling the project- but I'll need help.

We originally found some junkyard parts and got the car tuned up and driving just fine, actually it drives amazing, it's like a time capsule everything is so tight and crisp, to think we saved it from a shredder is shocking. Best driving car I have ever piloted, 32mpg, blasting ice cold AC, gliding along the roads- how did we go so wrong in the last 40 years? There is not a new car around that can hold a candle to it.

The body work is going to take some serious effort- I'll have to outsource that.
The main thing right now is just doing a 40 year tune up and sorting out some serious electrical gremlins- this year had the seat belt interlock system and it, along with many other circuits, had been messed with extensively.
I've got a good handle on that and now I'm in the process of reassembly, will need help with some parts info for sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brought it to my workshop but have had to just kind of sit on it for years not having time to sort out the rest of the details- but I could really use a run around car at this point and have been working in earnest to get her up to snuff.

As she sits now:

I'll post some other updates-

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately behind the dash is a bit of a mess. Various botched radio installs, three attempts at kill switch/seat belt interlock bypass that were done very poorly, non factory AC install that was less than clean, a really sketchy ammeter instal, and a horribly installed cruise control all in it's short 56k mile life.

All that being the case- after initial inspection I quickly decided the entire wire harness needed to come out and be inspected circuit by circuit.

This let me correctly isolate the seat belt interlock system and electric belt locks. For anyone that may not know- the 1975 model was very specific in having electric seat belts, seat sensors, and a surprisingly integrated "seat belt interlock" whereby the car would not start or be disabled if you tried to start it or run it without your seat belts on, and you had to do it in the right order.
All that shit is now gone.
To make this more fun none of the information or wiring diagrams published correctly illustrate how the system works as a whole.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wire harness is stripped down and mostly back together now, just need to put it back in place and wrap up the loose ends. Having dealt with old Toyota electrics on other platforms I have been preemptively correcting for known issues at the same time. (new proper sized wires, proper fuses, proper poly mesh looms, etc)

A basic cleaning and it's on to reassembly. I'm not hotrodding it, or resto moding, just making it clean and reliable, want to have a simple good driver.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now for a question:

Brakes?
Are there brake options from other, or more modern, platforms that swap over?
I will be running all new lines, and will have braided stainless lines made to replace any flex portions so plumbing differences are not an issue.
But my supplier only shows one side available for the front calipers. The rear wheel cylinders are common enough, but I would also consider switching them out to a disk setup.

Does anyone know if the suspension and braking systems from this car are shared with any other platforms? The Celica? Corolla? From the same vintage or newer? Are there new brake upgrades to consider? This goes for the master cylinder as well- is there a newer version to consider bolting on? I don't like to run 50 year old brake components in general.

After I get the engine bay back together and prove good running condition I want to preemptively tackle the wheels/brakes/tires/etc. to ensure safety and ease of maintenance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well- overwhelming response to the brake request. :p
Such a popular and well supported car....

I did a lot of looking and the Corona really doesn't share any undercarriage with the other cars of the period. I confirmed this with the nice folks at Technotoytuning, who were very helpful in telling me that they could not help me. To them, and to me, the front end components look to be exactly the same as the 2wd mini trucks of the period, and being a 4wd guy I dont have anything to confirm this by. And- in looking there does not seem to be a standard upgrade for those trucks either, other than I found several references to a 1995 LS400 brake caliper being able to bolt in in place. This would most likely require either a new master cylinder or at least an adjustable proportioning valve to balance things out. But honestly, after a 4 wheel brake and bearing check- this went way down the priority list, everything is in great shape.
All I'm going to do for now is have new stainless flex lines made and bleed the system.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now for another question:
Tach
It needs one.
All cars need a tach, not having a tach is total bullshit. This car has a clock (which is cool) rather than a tach (not cool).
Ideally I would like to find a tach from another toyota application that fits in place- but thus far no luck. If anyone knows of an option I'm all ears....
Otherwise it will be a whole custom dash panel with all new gauges.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did find that other Corona tachs look to be a bolt-up as per this sale post here:
Looks the same, and I'm sure that Corona tachs are quite plentiful..... 馃檮

Registered
sorry, all i have is the same as you, very little info, i have the speedo/clock in mine. my console has a cap
(approx3 /12" dia) where the smaller clock goes. And yes all cars should have a tach (lol) i've been trying to find one to replace the clock and then a smaller to put in the console but cant find any similar style. that bumper, fender and door will buff out! at least you have a bone yard to go too! nothing here for me. for brakes, i'm finding out that rear drums off a 73 celica might work. I ordered them today from Amazon. usually newer style booster and reservoirs are usually interchangeable.. mine is just a single. you have to cross reference a lot between amazon, rockauto, Beck arnely websites. Cardone and partstoyota might help as well. well, there you go, i haven't helped out any but hopefully a little more search options. like you said, the corona isnt a well popular car. all i know is i got the only here on the islands!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry, all i have is the same as you, very little info, i have the speedo/clock in mine. my console has a cap
(approx3 /12" dia) where the smaller clock goes. And yes all cars should have a tach (lol) i've been trying to find one to replace the clock and then a smaller to put in the console but cant find any similar style. that bumper, fender and door will buff out! at least you have a bone yard to go too! nothing here for me. for brakes, i'm finding out that rear drums off a 73 celica might work. I ordered them today from Amazon. usually newer style booster and reservoirs are usually interchangeable.. mine is just a single. you have to cross reference a lot between amazon, rockauto, Beck arnely websites. Cardone and partstoyota might help as well. well, there you go, i haven't helped out any but hopefully a little more search options. like you said, the corona isn't a well popular car. all i know is i got the only here on the islands!
Hey what are you doing in here!?! This is a private conversation with.... myself. 馃檮
But yeah, thanks!
I know with the 4x4 stuff there is a lot of forward compatibility with parts, especially brakes, it seems that is the normal way toyota operates so with a little trial and error I'll be able to move forward. For now- the brakes are great, will just make new lines.
The tach though- yeah. I'm really at the point where I think a custom dash is just the best option.
I did find the part numbers for the cars that came with a tach, and I do find that there are several sources online that list "meter assy, combination" for these cars as available for a little under $200.

Now typically, in toyota parts the "assy" means it comes with the parts bolted together, but I'm suspicious of a $200 part actually including the tach/speed/combi gauges. It might just be the plastic holder. It would appear that 83100-20441 would be one that was for a tach equipped car.
But- I think I can make a nice dash panel, it's a simple enough profile, good oil pressure and water temps gauges are a wise upgrade anyway, I'm not fond of the other dash controls as-is (pull slider for fan speeds? wtf), with the re-wire many of the indicator lights are no longer indicative of anything so- maybe non stock is just the way to go. It's not like anyone cares about these cars anyway. 馃槤
I think this is about similar to normal 80s vintage toyota utilitarian gauge styles as I'll find:

Registered
2019 Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum
Hey great find! Quite a project but the end result will be worth it! I keep looking at all the pics in tal amazement. I keep looking but I don't see any rust! On a 46 year old Japanese car??? Phenomenal!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey great find! Quite a project but the end result will be worth it! I keep looking at all the pics in tal amazement. I keep looking but I don't see any rust! On a 46 year old Japanese car??? Phenomenal!
The condition of this car continues to surprise me.
This is in side the rear quarter:

Electrical wiring Electricity Cable Networking cables Audio equipment

Or looking down at the bottom pinch weld:

Wood Electrical wiring Electricity Tints and shades Gas

Or the componets from inside the door (no, I did not have these recoated):

Sleeve Grey Wood Asphalt Font

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In any case- I've not been posting at all since the forum....... has not been much of a resource. 馃槤

I have been making progress though.
The big jump was actually finding another donor car for the passenger door and some other parts, it was a stupid long drive to go get parts, but was the final straw to actualy get the shop to agree to do the body work.

Land vehicle Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once I got the new door the body shop pretty much immediately took it in after 7 years of trying to get someone to work on it. (I've done body work, I'm not good at it, or equipped for it, this way it got done right) It helps that the body shop is directly across the alley from my shop too though. 馃槤

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Fixture Car Asphalt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After that it was around the corner to a detailing shop to bring the other side back up to snuff. We ended up with an excellent color match. And I've just been slowly getting all the parts put back together.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheels are still an issue. I have the original hubcaps but I'm not a fan of them, in fact I hate all hub caps that are not dog-bowls so I need to do something there. There are some cool options available but not for the kind of (lack of) money I have. At this point the tires are getting too old to trust even though they have no miles on them, and switching to a 15" rim will net me much better selection, but finding anything that suits the time period and has a useable backspacing is proving difficult (no tire protrusion is acceptable)

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel Car

Need to find the right kind of mirror too- this one only has a LH side view mirror and I really want one on each side, I wish I knew more about the cars so I knew what to track down, I really only have truck experience.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last post I guess and I'll close out this thread. Super close now- far enough that I've been driving it around again for the first time in a decade- so that's nice.
I am not a facebooker- but I found a group on there for these that has at least some info- posting there instead:

Waited 3 months for wheels to come in as the old rubber was not safe to drive around- still some details to sort, but getting there.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

1 - 20 of 22 Posts