Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '79 Celica's oil pump is leaking. I knew I had a leak, but it's getting worse.
I thought it was the main crank seal leaking. But no, with my luck, it's the o-ring between the pump and the timing chain cover.

The o-ring costs $14, and the crank seal another $14 or so (discount OEM prices). It would be foolish to not r&r the crank seal after going through all the disassembly.

Question: I can get a brand new Aisin pump from Rockauto for $42, which includes both o-ring and gasket. Would the quality be the same (pump AND gaskets)? If so, I'm tempted to just get a new pump.

·
One with the farce
3,796 Posts
Unless your engine has been neglected and the oil is dirty, the oil pump will be absolutely fine. I replaced the o-ring on my ‘85 22r (assuming yours is an R engine as well) and the worst part was trying to crack the crank pulley bolt loose, but other than that it was an easy job. Oh…super important tip…mark where each bolt goes, as there are a few different length bolts and if you get it wrong, you could end up hitting the timing chain with one of them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless your engine has been neglected and the oil is dirty, the oil pump will be absolutely fine. I replaced the o-ring on my ‘85 22r (assuming yours is an R engine as well) and the worst part was trying to crack the crank pulley bolt loose, but other than that it was an easy job. Oh…super important tip…mark where each bolt goes, as there are a few different length bolts and if you get it wrong, you could end up hitting the timing chain with one of them.
Yes, I have the 20R engine. I'm hoping that the "starter bump method" will free the pulley bolt loose. The bolts are different, and the FSM states to use thread sealer on the uppermost bolt.

I'm just more comfortable using an OEM seal and o-ring.
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts