Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’ve had my mx83 for a while now. It’s stock down to the bone. 7mge with only 52 thousand miles on her but recently it started giving me a problem at start up. I know, I know “here we go again” ... Ok so the problem only occurs on a cold start or if I let the car sit for about an hour.. when I go to start it, it cranks for almost 10 seconds before it begins to struggle to keep itself on.. a quick 1 or 2 seconds of struggling and the engine will bump itself up to its normal 1k rpm at cold start. If I let it idle for about 10 minutes then turn it off and wait a minute or two then try starting it again it starts without any hesitation at all, a quick turn of the key and “vroom” SHE’S ALIVE!.. so it has to do something with the engine having trouble building pressure either in the fuel pump or the oil pump.. my distributor is leaking oil pretty bad so I have no idea if that could cause the problem but I was thinking it could be a fuel problem... I haven’t had a change to look at my baby because I’ve been working a lot of hours to save up for a new suspension for her but now shes hesitating to start so I think I’m going to have to do more internal work before continuing with the suspension 😞 ... please help me with my “financial mistake”, anything helps, either it’s personal experience or just a suggestion will be highly appreciated, but whatever you do don’t tell me to get rid of it, thank you. 🙂

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
The engine-coolant temp-sensor ECT is also commonly culprit. This tells ECU that engine is cold and ECU does cold-start cycle with fuel-enrichment. Easy enough to test ECT in pot of water and multimeter.

If you suspect fuel-pressure, then hook up fuel-pressure gauge to fuel-rail monitor actual fuel-pressure and compare to values given in FSM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The engine-coolant temp-sensor ECT is also commonly culprit. This tells ECU that engine is cold and ECU does cold-start cycle with fuel-enrichment. Easy enough to test ECT in pot of water and multimeter.

If you suspect fuel-pressure, then hook up fuel-pressure gauge to fuel-rail monitor actual fuel-pressure and compare to values given in FSM.
do I hook up the fuel pressure gauge to the line in the back of the fuel rail or to the line that goes into the fpr ?

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,631 Posts
so long as it is on the pressure side of the regulator it would work for you. Whichever end of the rail is easier to access.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
do I hook up the fuel pressure gauge to the line in the back of the fuel rail or to the line that goes into the fpr ?
Line at FPR is fuel-return with no pressure. I think you can use a double-banjo bolt to attach gauge to inlet at back of rail.

Can also attach to outlet of fuel-filter.

Or can attach pressure-sensor for gauge inside cabin.

You can also drill and tap front of rail for gauge. I usually have one permanently on any car I modify for tuning purposes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Line at FPR is fuel-return with no pressure. I think you can use a double-banjo bolt to attach gauge to inlet at back of rail.

Can also attach to outlet of fuel-filter.

Or can attach pressure-sensor for gauge inside cabin.

You can also drill and tap front of rail for gauge. I usually have one permanently on any car I modify for tuning purposes.

this is super smart I want to have one inside the cabin by my dash gauges how would I go about doing this? I also want a oil pressure gauge since the cressidas don’t come with one

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on the car:
I turn it on the other day after letting it sit in the garage for about a week and as soon as I turn the key a huge puff of smoke came out of the exhaust and the rpms shot to 2k (usually only goes to about 1500rpm ).. I quickly turn off the car and tried starting it again and it started up fine ??? No more white smoke and the car idled great I couldn’t smell the sweet aroma of coolant so I don’t think the smoke could’ve been a head gasket issue but the smoke did look white or maybe it was grey I’m not sure the lighting in my garage is dim so I couldn’t tell... could this be a fuel problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven’t got the chance to go out and buy a fuel Pressure testing kit but hopefully I will this weekend

1 - 13 of 13 Posts