Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I checked on the front Highlander calipers and they are listed under two different part numbers. One is for made in Japan and the other is made in USA. Anyone know what if any is the difference and if they are interchangeable?

And has anyone tried this with the XLE 17" wheels?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I checked on the front Highlander calipers and they are listed under two different part numbers. One is for made in Japan and the other is made in USA. Anyone know what if any is the difference and if they are interchangeable?

And has anyone tried this with the XLE 17" wheels?
The difference is the shape of the caliper - one sticks out a little more than the other. I can't remember which is which, but I'd get the one that sticks out less (you can tell by the pictures) just to be safe. You should be fine with XLE 17" wheels.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Are the front brakes overpowering? Does the car nose dive at all from just normal braking?
I have had highlander (kluger in Australia) front disc / calipers for about 2years now on my 2007 V6. I also have a 2009 v6 with stock brakes. The big brake car does stop faster but it also has lowered springs, stiffer shock absorbers and 234/40/18 quite expensive tyres. It does not behave strangely or do anything surprising.

It was an easy job, everything just bolted on perfectly.

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
647 Posts
I bought used calipers on ebay for $45 each from 2013 highlander with 40k miles and drilled and slotted rotors with pads kit for $160. Still waiting for one caliper to arrive and I will disassemble and paint the calipers before install. I already dry fitted the caliper on passanger side and indeed it bolts on fine and even has same offset as original camry rotor. I will also try to smooth out the outside face of caliper and apply high temp stickers. Need to rice it up a bit ;)

Thanks for this great idea! Every time my wife switches from her car to mine, she complains how she doesn't trust my brakes, that they are too weak comparing with her car.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did this upgrade two weeks and totally happy with it. I had trouble with brakes day one with the car get it at 28K miles. The brakes just were always underpowered and would slide during braking, getting into the car gap to quick. I constantly had to stomp on them late and cause car to dip in the front. I had to either get off the gas early, brake early, or harder. After long road trip driving the inside and outs of Yosemite, I had so much brake judder and vibration I knew I had to replace them and they were inadequate for my aggressive driving. At 52K they came out with old rotors still thick at 28mm, min is 25mm and pads still have 15K left.
It seems the original had too much pad dust buildup and it got caught in the crease of the pads. All the shims and pads lacked lubrication, both probably causing the judder.

Had new centric rotors, two rebuilt cardone calipers, and akebono pads out in the front. Calipers got trashed in shipping, so some of paint got chipped and one bleed nipple got clean broken off. I tapped the bleeder out and got a speed bleeders. Caliper was free for my trouble, so it was worth it. I wouldn't buy them again because the manufacturer packaging was piss poor it lets the caliper roll everywhere like shake and bake.

At first the brakes had more pedal travel but after bed in procedure and week of driving it improved. I didn't get rear brakes done, which might improve pedal feel once I replace them and do a complete bleed. The car
braking behavior has totally improved. I can control it so car doesn't slide into gap, it holds distance effortlessly. Car dips less and anytime I have to emergency brake, happens all the time with LA traffic, the car stops and maintains the gap, even increases distance with the car in front. I also get a happy backseat driver who doesn't comment as much on the tailgating.

·
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
647 Posts
I'm happy with mine also. After about 800 miles they became much more responsive, almost on a touchy side. All in all I love them. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The calipers from the 08-14 highlander are the exact same as the 2010-14 RX350 and RX450. Even the Sienna mini van uses the same calipers from 2011+. I agree these brakes should be standard at least on the V6 with all the extra weight it carries up front.
So the following two part numbers should work on 2012 Camry xle?

47730-0E031

47750-0E031

Part numbers for Highlander
47750-48110 Left
47730-48150 Right

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
647 Posts
Enjoy. There is couple of us who did this conversion. I love the feel od brake pedal now.

·
Registered
2001 Lexus ES300
543 Posts
For those looking to do this... I searched (randomly) under 2012 Highlander 3.5 on RockAuto

I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this one, as they sell a PowerStop Kit which includes reman calipers, rotors & pads! What a great idea. Cheap, it was 350$ CAD

I've used powerstop in the past and wouldn't hesitate again... so, this conversion just got easier? lol

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Camry SE
14 Posts
I just bought and installed this upgrade bought from rockauto. Install was pretty straight forward except for one minor issue that had me banging my head against a wall. The screws in the caliper bracket were installed wrong from the manufacturer and lead to sticking brakes. The longer screw which should have been installed in the top hole was installed in the bottom. I figured this out after about an hour of going through every minute detail of my install of each component. Such a simple error that lead to a headache but other than that, great improvement in braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry for posting on old thread. I am interested to do this but since new components add 5 lbs on each side, does anyone feel the struts become lacking in damping the unsprung weight? Also, is there an option to fit dual pistons in 16" wheel? I prefer smaller wheel due to their weight since I'm concern bigger brake + bigger wheels combo will mess up the suspension.

·
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
647 Posts
Sorry for posting on old thread. I am interested to do this but since new components add 5 lbs on each side, does anyone feel the struts become lacking in damping the unsprung weight? Also, is there an option to fit dual pistons in 16" wheel? I prefer smaller wheel due to their weight since I'm concern bigger brake + bigger wheels combo will mess up the suspension.
There is about 3/8" gap between caliper and inside of 17" rim so I'm not sure if 16" rim will clear the caliper. I might be wrong though. See my Pic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is about 3/8" gap between caliper and inside of 17" rim so I'm not sure if 16" rim will clear the caliper. I might be wrong though. See my Pic.

Thank you. Do you think the caliper and bracket can be shaven in case they don't clear the 16"?

·
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
647 Posts
I guess anything is possible but I wouldn't do that. Removing any material from top of caliper will make it weaker. I don't have access to 16" rim to test the fit for you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I guess anything is possible but I wouldn't do that. Removing any material from top of caliper will make it weaker. I don't have access to 16" rim to test the fit for you.

Did you have to modify the standard dust shield behind the rotor?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts