Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the I4 and V6 both use the same 8-speed automatic and do they both have the same drivability problems people complain about?
Are all the problems just annoying or are these issues that may cause the transmission to fail prematurely?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Do the I4 and V6 both use the same 8-speed automatic and do they both have the same drivability problems people complain about?
Are all the problems just annoying or are these issues that may cause the transmission to fail prematurely?
Yes and yes. Still, there are owners who are very happy with it.

Whether it may fail prematurely or not we will see, but, this transmission is not so new. It was initially used in the Lexus RX 350 F sport in 2013 and was since used in many brands and vehicle types including BMW, GM, VOLVO etc. I don’t recall reports about how disastrous this transmission is (in contrast with the Ford’s PowerShift transmission for example). In think it is reliable but not user friendly as is made and configured for the best fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you're not a bit heavy on the throttle, the transmission upshifts quickly for fuel economy purposes. This is 100% Toyota's programming and not the transmission's fault.

Downshifting is slow, not sure what causes this. But both of these things seem to be by design and I don't think will affect reliability.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The disagreeable behavior I experience at and near a stop seems mostly eliminated by driving in S. The problem with driving in S is that then it doesn't shift up as soon as it should for most of Toyota's customers (including me, BTW). Hitting the Sport button as I near a stop and then hitting Normal after I roll away is nonsense.

The ATX in our current-gen Mazda6 is much better behaved.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The transmission problem isn’t really an issue as long as you’re not flooring it. If you smoothly accelerate you’ll never really notice it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The transmission problem isn’t really an issue as long as you’re not flooring it. If you smoothly accelerate you’ll never really notice it.
Wrong. Tried that many times, as well as every other imaginable strategy. When the overwhelming majority of drivers have to adapt to 'adaptive' cars, that's a major red flag that something's wrong. The controller is just very poorly programmed for handling almost-stopped to stopped conditions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wrong. Tried that many times, as well as every other imaginable strategy. When the overwhelming majority of drivers have to adapt to 'adaptive' cars, that's a major red flag that something's wrong. The controller is just very poorly programmed for handling almost-stopped to stopped conditions.
Well, works for me and my car runs very smoothly after a couple weeks of learning how to drive it. Can’t really call me “wrong” when it’s worked for a handful of people on this forum. It may not work for everyone, but it’s worked for a lot of people so far.

·
Registered
2018 Camry SE
20 Posts
My 2018 behaves the same way, during a rolling stop, if i were to floor and bottom out the pedal in an instant, the car will jerk, but if i were to depress the pedal progressively, it will accelerate smoothly. The speed of how I depress the pedal doesn't matter, u can depress it faster if u want more speed, just don't bottom out in an instant. I can however bottom out the pedal after the car fully stops without any issues. Every 8th gen i drove behaves slightly different, id guess it depends on how the computer adjusted to the initial owner's first few thousand miles of driving.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, works for me and my car runs very smoothly after a couple weeks of learning how to drive it. Can’t really call me “wrong” when it’s worked for a handful of people on this forum. It may not work for everyone, but it’s worked for a lot of people so far.
That part isn't normal. It's an automatic, nobody should have to learn how to drive an automatic that supposedly learns how you drive (still waiting for concrete proof that is even a thing).

But anyway, if you slow down from 30+ to about 10-15, the car is still in 4th gear. Either you lightly step on the gas and wait for the car to try to accelerate while it's in too high of a gear, or you step on it hard and eventually it slams down to first and almost redlines. There's no middle ground. That's the issue everyone has, it's the way Toyota designed it and whether or not it bothers you, it's a crappy design.

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
703 Posts
Not wrong, when company is constantly forced by government to increase MPGs, that's what you get. Because of small markup that Toyota has on camry, they can't afford to bear the cost and passing it to customers won't work as they won't be able to sell cars in quantities as toy currently do. Drive any other high seller and newly redesigned car in this class and you will expirience similar behavior. I'm not defending Toyota, but we are doing it to ourselves by constantly wanting cleaner air and better environment for us and our kids.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not wrong, when company is constantly forced by government to increase MPGs, that's what you get. Because of small markup that Toyota has on camry, they can't afford to bear the cost and passing it to customers won't work as they won't be able to sell cars in quantities as toy currently do. Drive any other high seller and newly redesigned car in this class and you will expirience similar behavior. I'm not defending Toyota, but we are doing it to ourselves by constantly wanting cleaner air and better environment for us and our kids.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yup. Welcome to the point where ICE engines are reaching their maximum fuel efficiency. Auto manufactures have even started adding in “Start-Stop Systems” to get that little extra sliver of fuel efficiency.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
i have a new '19 camry le, just got it on the 24th of august.

what i have noticed is that as i am leaving my driveway, it is like in low, low gear.

if i start off in S..it starts off in 4th gear....!!

i do not "hammer" on the gas pedal as i take off, but once on the road, i "might" gas on it a little bit, and frankly, notice nothing unusual.

my last camry, '17 only had about 27,000 miles on it (3 yr lease car) and the 6 speed transmission.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Camry tranny’s programming issue is simply that it can’t decide what gear to be in when it is near a stop and asked to accelerate. Neither does it choose well when starting from a stop. The fact that switching to sport mode corrects those issues proves that it’s a simple programming problem. Unfortunately, sport mode introduces other issues.

This isn’t tough to see, and it isn’t a ‘government’ problem.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,832 Posts
It's a government problem if it regulates how much a cars MPG should be at. Thus, Toyota and other car manufactures will do anything to get to that mpg goal, which means making the transmission act the way it does for that sweet sweet mpg goal. Though I haven't looked to see if there is such regulation but i've read articles that there is.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The Camry tranny’s programming issue is simply that it can’t decide what gear to be in when it is near a stop and asked to accelerate. Neither does it choose well when starting from a stop. The fact that switching to sport mode corrects those issues proves that it’s a simple programming problem. Unfortunately, sport mode introduces other issues.

This isn’t tough to see, and it isn’t a ‘government’ problem.
At a complete stop, mine goes to first every time. It’s the 2mph almost-stops that it struggles with.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Guys, the stop-and-go bad behaviour will go away after several thousand miles. The rest of the hunting for gears and throttle lag at low speeds is there to stay. It’s made like that for efficiency purposes. This is a reliable, economic, family (?), sporty (??????) sedan. Treat it like that and you’ll be happy.

I hate mine when I want it to be a bit more sporty and she just coughs on me when I ask for that little punch.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Purchased a 2017 Camry LE August 4th and gave away my 2006 Corolla with 3 speed Auto w/overdrive. Immediately noticed the Camry drove like a "dog" compared to the older Corolla, it wants to shift to 5th or 6th as quickly as possible to save gas. I started to drive in "S" mode and now it accelerates on par with my older Corolla. At highway speeds I shift it into "D" for the fuel economy. For general city driving I would leave it in "S" mode.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts