Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't like sunroofs either. But my 98 Pathfinder came fully loaded and it had one. I just ignored it.
I could care less about sunroofs but my Platinum came with a "panoramic moonroof"----full length of passenger compartment. I guess if your passengers want to stare at the stars at night. Driver glass roof panel also opens a crack for air circulation, I guess. Seems like another mechanical device that could fail.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's all about fuel economy with manufactures and with the 8 speeds most drivers aren't used to it. I've been on several 2,000 mile plus trips and have no complaints.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just my two cents.......I have a 2017 AWD Highlander Limited with the 8 speed transmission. I really like the vehicle. It hasn't missed a beat in the three years I've had it. The transmission does not shift hard, it doesn't search for gears. It just does it's job without me even thinking about it. It's no race car but it's plenty quick enough to get on the freeway without getting run over. If I'd wanted a race car, I'd have bought a Tesla.
As far as sunroofs goes, I just keep the shade closed and pretend I don't have one. That works for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
jiantao, here's the straight dope. Early 2017 models, before a certain date of manufacture and VEHICLE serial number may have had a shifting issue and a hesitation in lower gears. You can see the exact symptoms in TSB-0194-17. If you took the vehicle in to a dealer and mentioned these symptoms you could get the dealer to reprogram the ECU, which is what was done to my 2017 HL. Folks who had the symptoms and had the reprogram done said it was like a totally different trans after it was done. The second problem was caused by a washer tab not sufficiently bent during the manufacturing process. This could lead the a nut loosening and, over time, lead to the symptoms listed in T-SB-0160-18.

Depending how good the dealer was feeling on a given day, for TSB-0194-17 you might have been able to get away with just mentioning the TSB and not the symptoms in order for the dealer to do the maintenance for free. It was a software fix only.

However, and this is for Vangm25, for T-SB-0160-18, you had to have the listed symptoms and a trans serial number within a certain range, DTCs may also be present. You had to have these in order to get the fix, which was a new, or remanned trans, an expensive proposition for Toyota. So, they weren't going to give you a new trans just because you were unhappy with it. As an aside, you could not go by VIN, since trans serial numbers were not necessarily used in order. You had to have a trans in the specified serial number range. Even if you did, but weren't having the problems in the TSB, Toyota initiated a Customer Support Notification, as mentioned in my previous post. That is my status now, with my trans.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts