Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a problem with my 1983 Corolla with 4AC engine. It's not starting and when the time it happened I decided to put it in my garage for few weeks to check see if I can figure out what's the problem. Anyways after I sprayed with GUNK Carb/choke cleaner it starts after a few cranking. I drove it around the block and it seems like it's stalling so I turned around to head back home. I tried again the next day I did'nt start anymore. I have changed the spark plugs, spark plug cable, distributor cup and rotor, the ignition coil. It did'nt work. By the way the batt. is good but not new so I was jump starting it to make sure I have enough power. The starter seems ok, the mototor turns every time I turned the key to start. I have lights and radio etc. when the key to ON. Any of you guys had this kind of problem before? I'm not an expert in this kind of stuff. Also I found something behind my motor and on the top of the tranny right above the clutch housing and its a cable that seems snap/broke. I'm not sure where it goes, what it's for. ( see attached pics ). Does this do anything with the starting the car? I would appreciate for all the help...Thanks

Is this cable looks failiar? would this cause the car to not start?

G

·
0 Posts
looks like a throttle cable, but i think your car is carb. check FUEL PUMP, sounds like your car is gasoline deprvied

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mY COROLLA is a carb...the cable in the photo is not a throttle cable i guess because my gas pedal is not loose when i step on it. I saw this cable on top of the tranny and in between the firewall and engine.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
If you car is a an automatic, it might be the kick-down cable (A.K.A. down shift cable, transmission throttle valve cable)
If it is, that is the thing that signals your transmission to down shift when you press on the gas to pass another car or go uphill.

If it is the kick-down cable that is broken, it shouldn't affect your being able to start the car.

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
Could be a heater control cable?

Your problem sounds like a carb/fuel issue. I doubt that broken cable is related.

Check you fuel pump is suppling fuel to you carb, then check the carb itself. (Floats vaccumme lines etc. etc.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Donald said:
If you car is a an automatic, it might be the kick-down cable (A.K.A. down shift cable, transmission throttle valve cable)
If it is, that is the thing that signals your transmission to down shift when you press on the gas to pass another car or go uphill.

If it is the kick-down cable that is broken, it shouldn't affect your being able to start the car.
Thanks, that might be it, I would bring it with me to the Toyota Dealership so that I canmake sure that i'm getting the same thing.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I noticed that everytime I try to start it, I smell gas somewhere, i'm not sure where. Should I check the Gas Pump 1st. I know I just replaced my gas filter few months before it dies.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you can smell gas you could have a stuck lloat in the carb or a hole in the fuel line which could be a good possibility considering the age of the car.

G

·
0 Posts
if your smelling gas thats a good thing maybe, could mean the fuel pump still works, 90 gp has a good point, a float stuck open in the carb would cause the car not to start, and if your smelling gas, its not a bad place to start looking!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I have'nt been online for few days, but I appreciate all your help. I'am not a savy mechanic but i'll find out how to check the float and how to identify a bad float compare to a good one.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Not sure about your carb but the one on my old 87 Nova (Corolla) had a plastic sight glass on the side of carb bowl so you could see float level . It should be at the middle of the sight glass. Did you try removing a plug and grounding plug with cable attached to check for spark which if no spark would mean a problem in the ignition system. Also remove a spark plug spray starting fluid in hole install plug to see if it starts and then stalls to indicate a fuel supply problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts