Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with my 84' pickup 22r carb engine. This problem has been ongoing since my dad owned the truck. Typically what happens is that after doing usually over 65 MPH on the freeway or high revs going through gears my truck will not want to idle or will idle hard and I will have to press gas a bit to keep it idling while stopped to keep it alive. It also smells like it is running rich (smell fuel from exhaust). I have heard EGR valve and such, but I have somewhat ruled that out with the help of mechanics and so on. Sometimes the idle problem will go away within minutes after driving around for a while, other times I will park it and come back out some time later and it will fire up and idle normally, sometimes like now it will not idle for going on about a week now. Any ideas?The truck still has original carb in it as far as I know.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
The AAP valve on the carb may have a pinhole leak in the diaphragm.

·
chris
Toyota Camry le gen4
30 Posts
I had a similar problem. After checking the aap and various suggestions I found a write up on pirate 4x4 about the emission computer having cold solder joints. I pulled that sucker off and did find some, resoldered and the problem is gone. I had the problem on and off for over a year till I found out about he emission box. It is located on the left kick panel. If you look at the hood release while laying down you will see it. Two 10mm bolts, easy fix.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 22r carb is a easy DIY rebuild. There is a DIY on the net on how to do it. $40 for a carb rebuild kit from Autozone, takes approx 2hrs to rebuild....no biggy, might just be the ticket....plus with the cost of gas....you may get better gas mileage on a carb rebuild. Trust me, on these old carbs they need a rebuild/refresh.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts