Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this, but...heres the deal.

This neighbor of mine has an '84 supra, he said he was selling it, the car itself looked in good condition this weekend im gonna go see the engine and all that..and i was wondering how much an '84 supra would go for..price range please. Also can i get any tips to look for things on the car to make sure its worth my money. Thanks everyone.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
definately a good investment, provided the price is reasonable. Find out more on the car, as a price estimate at this point is only pure speculation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help! The guy hasn't been home lately though, which is annoying the shit out of me..oh well thanks again !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the guy is selling it for 2 thousand, and ugh the only thing i need to do to its, is change the wheels, and the shocks..

Does anyone know how much it would cost to change the shocks on a car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
What's the mileage and condition? Any service records? Check for rust! That's a huge concern on MK2s. Otherwise, the 5M-GE motor and the drivetrain is insanely durable, with the only bad thing being that the motor burns oil.

The car's got independent suspension, so the strut replacement would probably cost a few bills of labour.

Does this car have the digital dash or the analogs?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
ten bucks says it's valve stem seals. It happens. A lot. The head need not be pulled for this, just in case you don't know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
repinS said:
ten bucks says it's valve stem seals. It happens. A lot. The head need not be pulled for this, just in case you don't know.
Eh, sorry I'm not a car genious...whats a 'valve stem seals' and why does it do?

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
valve stem seals are under the valve springs and around the valve stems. they keep oil from going down the valve and into the cylinders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So how much do you guys think it would cost to replace those damn shocks? I don't want any 'nice' racing shocks, i just want stock shocks that come on ...lets say...a Civic.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
You mean in terms of firmness? Can't really compare to a Civic, as spring rates matter too. New (factory, if you want, or aftermarket lowering ones) springs and KYB or Koni shocks should do you very nicely. Lately, I've heard of a couple complaints with Tokicos, so not sure about those.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
repinS said:
You mean in terms of firmness? Can't really compare to a Civic, as spring rates matter too. New (factory, if you want, or aftermarket lowering ones) springs and KYB or Koni shocks should do you very nicely. Lately, I've heard of a couple complaints with Tokicos, so not sure about those.
Heh, what I meant was I don't want any fancy shmancy springs that go on race cars, I just want reliable ones. How much do you think it would cost to get them replaced?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heh, what I meant was I don't want any fancy shmancy springs that go on race cars, I just want reliable ones. How much do you think it would cost to get them replaced?

I really need to know, sorry about the double post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts