Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is starting to go out, I need to swap this weekend. I have had this truck over 15 years and never had to go into the transmission. How do you pull the trans with it having a welded crossmember. I do not want to pull the motor.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
you just undo the tranny mounts from the crossmember and remove the belhousing bolts and slave cylinder then, you back it out and set the belhousing sid down firtst. the trick is to jack the truck up high enough to slide it out from the front belhousing facing the front. the crossmember kinda helps keep the tailshaft up when you slide it back in. if your just doing the clutch you might be able to actually prop the tranny up on the crossmember with out completely dropping it out while you replace the clutch. its kinda tight that way but it can be done

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I,m sorry, no it cannot be done. I tried this weekend. The bellhousing will contact the clutch/pressure plate assembly. The only way I could get it back in withou remove engine was: Remove body bolt, jack body three inches. Remove the shifter, tower cover.

·
Registered
905 Posts
actually ... you remove the shifter leaver from inside first ... before you lift it up on the hoist . then it will come out .

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did remove the shifter, I remove the cross member bracjet and trans mount. The tail was up again the floor. Even turn the tansmission sideways. It still hit the clutch. I needed about an inch and half to clear. So I jack the body. They just no way to do it other on a 85. I even remove the shifter tower to gain clearance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts