Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 TOYOTA E/C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I am prety knew to toyota building, buddies and I have done some custom lifts and swaped out a trans or two really minor stuff. Well I have decided to start a forum because I feel that I will have a few if not many questons;). I am starting my project truck, this is something I have wanted to do for years :thumbsup:.

OK here is the truck I am starting with...will post pics soon.

1986 Toyota pickup extended cab
22r engine with rod out block:thumbsdow
5 speed manual trans
Stock tires
stock axels and front IFS

mods so far
removed bed and choped frame rear of leaf spring shackle...will be a flat bed soon.
Started removal of engine

Purchased Doner Truck

1985 Chevy crew cab 1Ton
350 small block, was swapped from a big block
205 t-case
1 ton axels
th-350 trans auto
All all of which I plan to put into the 86 toyota.

·
Registered
86 TOYOTA E/C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First Question

When I swap in the axels can I or should I leave the stock steereing box or is there mods that have to be made?

·
Registered
86 TOYOTA E/C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
maybe I am not askin the right question, the 350 that I am putting in my toyota has power steering, I plan on a 3 inch body lift pretty much mandatory when doing a V8 swap and im hoping to get away with a 2 to 3 inch suspension lift, around here we do not have much rock climbing but lots of mud and hills so I want to keep the center of gravity low,I am thinking of just putting in the whole steering column / assy. in due to going with the chevy auto trans when the toyota is a manual, I figured this way I could keep the chevy shift linkage and shift lever all there together, Also I know that the chevy steer box will turn the tires I am wanting to put on and will work with the motor. any thoughts? Please help!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I dont get it, why not just use the sock set up and re-plumb it to the V8 pump?

All you have to do is run new power steering hose to plumb the low pressure side of the pump. For the high pressure side it is usually best to use the stock hose that came on the engine.

I've even seen people even keep the power steering cooler behind the grill.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Whether or not you use the Toyota steering box would depend in part on the steering system you will use. Stock Chevy, aftermarket x-over, etc.
I think I'd get the axle and steering linkages installed and then see which would work best.
You might also want to consider a hydraulic assist system.

·
Registered
86 TOYOTA E/C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is an option. I am just trying to make things easier by switching in the auto shifter and steering all in one shot, I believe I can unbolt steering column connectors and all and bolt in to toyota, that way I can kill two birds with one stone, I guess I am asking if there is any reason I can not do this or is there an eisier way?
Also I am under the impression that I will have to cut out the front cross member to make room for clearence, I was thinking of going with a serpintine setup to give more clearence? Could I leave the front the way it is and just fab up new radiator mounts?

·
Registered
86 TOYOTA E/C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whether or not you use the Toyota steering box would depend in part on the steering system you will use. Stock Chevy, aftermarket x-over, etc.
I think I'd get the axle and steering linkages installed and then see which would work best.
You might also want to consider a hydraulic assist system.
So if I go with hydralic assist I will need a new steer box anyways right?

Also what is it that you suggest I do with the shift lever for the auto?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
There's plenty of choices for a TH350. Lots of fancy aftermarket tunnel mount cable or linkage shifters. For the TH350 bolted up to the Buick 231 in my 83 I use one from an old Chevette.

Reactions: AKTOY4X4
1 - 8 of 8 Posts