Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a project truck. Dad's '86 4runner's front clip is totaled beyond repair, specifically the passenger's side. Mechanically pretty decent, engine, EFI system, tranny, basically 90% of the vehicle is still good. I found an 84 sr5 in a wrecking lot down town, great body, decent interior, just what I was looking for!..but it's a 22r, so it's obviously carb'ed (all stock), doesn't run. It's basically a rolling chassis. I'd dump the parts from the 4runner into it. The dash of the sr5 is stripped, so I plan to take the dash from the 4runner and put it in there (same set up/shape), along with the computer and everything (obviously for the EFI).

I've searched the forum, and I know it's possible to replace a 22r with a 22re, as it's been done many times on this forum. Dad says, "yeah, it's possible, but why would you want to? You're way better off finding a truck with a blown 22re". Sure, that'd be great if I could find one for less than $1800.

I know it's going to be very labour intensive, but it's also going to cost me little more than the inital for the truck $400 plus the front clip(radiator, condensor. I'm thinkin' less than $1000 new, if I need core supports, and hopefully I'll be able to find some parts at a salvage yard).

Is the 5 miles of wiring (not to mention all the parts moving) going to be worth saving the money, or am I really better off hoping to find a truck with some minor mechanical problems that's already a 22re? My time is not the issue. I have lots of it right now.

I have the resources to disassemble everything/lift all the parts, so it's not physical capability I'm worried about. It's just be for driving around town, and camping, but no major off roading, in case that makes any difference.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Since time and capability isn't an issue, go for it.
The wiring isn't that big a deal. You'll have to swap the fuel tank too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're sure the wiring isn't a big deal? I was checking out a wiring diagram...Oh boy, that's a little overwhelming. That's a whole lot of splicing. Any tips?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
You need to swap the 22RE engine harness and ECM from 4Runner to the truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts