Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, brand new here and hoping somebody can answer a simple question for me. I have a 86 4runner with a auto trans. I need to replace the transmission throttle cable or kickdown cable(not positive which it is called). I have it loose on the intake side and have taken out the bolt on the transmission side, but how do you actually get the cable out?
any help would be great!

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Throttle cable is the correct term, kickdown cable is the common term.
With the bolt out, pull up on the outter part at trans end and you should be able to see where the cable hooks into the trans side. It's sort of an S hook . You may have to disconnect it at the engine to get enough slack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have it disconnected at the upper end and the bolt out where it connects to the tranmission, but it is attached inside. I am guessing I will have to drop the pan to be able to access and unhook the end of the cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dropped the trans pan and was able to unhook the cable, now just waiting for the new cable to put it all back together

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
You're right, I was thinking of the KD cable on my 83. Glad you got it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anybody know the toyota part number for a kickdown cable for a 86 4runner with a auto transmission? parts store send me one for a 700-r4 trans

1 - 6 of 6 Posts