Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the 86 Camry Le for 5 years. The AC I figured was shot since it never came on. So a couple of days ago I finally did a little look see and find the 10 amp fuse blown behind the passenger side kick panel. I figure this is associated with the AC since everything else works. Now I hope someone has an idea what or how I should proceed to do beyond just plugging in the new fuse....as since it blew once its likely to blow again with out some sort of change. Any ideas?:facepalm:

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
8,257 Posts
Sometimes fuses blow with age/time. Try a new fuse first and go from there.

-Charlie

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've had the 86 Camry Le for 5 years. The AC I figured was shot since it never came on. So a couple of days ago I finally did a little look see and find the 10 amp fuse blown behind the passenger side kick panel. I figure this is associated with the AC since everything else works. Now I hope someone has an idea what or how I should proceed to do beyond just plugging in the new fuse....as since it blew once its likely to blow again with out some sort of change. Any ideas?:facepalm:
How did you figure it was an AC fuse? There is a chart on the back of the fuse block cover that says what each fuse is for, have you checked that to see what description matches the position of the blow one you found? You are correct normally you wouldn't just (keep) replacing a blow fuse.

Sometimes fuses blow with age/time. Try a new fuse first and go from there.

-Charlie
^x2 replace it once and see what happens. It is a cheap test if it blows right away, not like the expensive fuses in building switchgear costing hundreds of dollars each :D. If it does blow right away then you know you have a problem to track down.

Always replace the fuse with the correct size. You may want to check that chart on the back of the fuse block cover to make sure the correct amperage fuse was installed in the first place. You never know the one that was in there might have been the wrong size...possibly too small.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the fuse, and for the first time, there is light when the a/c switch is pushed on. I had it on for a few minutes and it didn't blow.
I don't think the weather has been warm enough to see if the A/C is effective. Regarding the fuse location, it was found behind the passenger side kick panel, I don't think there is a diagram listing fuse ID, there, like there is on the main fuse area by the driver's side kick panel. Plus, the cover is missing for that so I don't have a real idea what fuse does what on the driver's side.
Where are the A/C system relay and the A/C clutch relays located?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, it's 69 degrees here, but shouldn't the compressor clutch engage if I push the
AC? I do not see the clutch engage. I do hear a little click down under the dash (from the AC amplifier, I think) on the passenger side when the economy level is activated. So is the economy option really air conditioning? I don't really hear the click when I press the AC button all the way to the AC level.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
The economy A/C button just turns the compressor a bit slower to save on fuel. In either economy mode or full A/C mode the compressor should turn.

Mike

·
Registered
907 Posts
The economy A/C button just turns the compressor a bit slower to save on fuel. In either economy mode or full A/C mode the compressor should turn.

Mike
Isn't the compressor on or off and always runs at the same speed? I thought economy mode affected the "duty cycle" so to speak, of the compressor clutch cycling.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
while googling around it's been suggested that with the engine off, key off, I should be able to turn the clutch part of the compressor by hand, and if it doesn't turn, this may indicate a seized compressor.
Also suggested: run 12 volts directly to wire on compressor to see if clutch engages, I assume while parked and not running. I notice on my compressor there are more than one wire harness attached to the unit, but I'm thinking it is the wire connector closer to the clutch, not the one on the opposite end of the compressor.
Do one or both of these suggestions apply to my 1986 camry Le A/C (Manf. April of 1986) I noticed in chilton's that a manual and automatic A/C system are listed, I don't know which this car has???

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the diagram. Is this for the 1986 year camry. I'm just learning about A/C these past few days. Is there a relay for the compressor clutch, and where would that be located?

I've bypassed the pressure switch and the clutch does not engage with car running and A/C turned on.

With car off and 12 volts direct to clutch, I hear a soft click.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After checking at rockauto for what is called a compressor relay, I see that there is one at 15 amps as listed located near the battery. I disconnect it and it seems everything else works ok, so I figure it must be for the compressor relay. I hook up 12 volts to the signal wire feed on the relay and have a volt meter hooked to the other two...no reading...relay must be bad. I open up the relay and see that the points are burned out. So far I have found the 10 amp fuse blown, and now this 15 amp relay.

What is the likely cause of these parts burning out?

do I just get another relay and pop it in? Ok, previous to these problems I found that the blower motor resistor was partially bad, I only had the two highest fan speeds out of 4. I've cleaned up the connections going to the relay...

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Isn't the compressor on or off and always runs at the same speed? I thought economy mode affected the "duty cycle" so to speak, of the compressor clutch cycling.
No, as I said in my original post it turns the compressor slower to save on fuel. The compressor will still cycle on and off as needed.

Mike

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
compressor also will not kick on if refrigerant level is too low. Its possible with the age that it simply escaped and you need a recharge as well in order to have the compressor spin on

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
8,257 Posts
No, as I said in my original post it turns the compressor slower to save on fuel. The compressor will still cycle on and off as needed.

Mike
There is no mechanism for turning the compressor 'slower' I'd like to see the documentation you have for your reasoning. The compressor is either turning 1:1 with the belt or it stops turning depending on whether the clutch is engaged or not.

-Charlie

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I supplied 12 volts to compressor clutch, and it does engage. I guess now Its just the standard procedure of converting to r134a

1 - 17 of 17 Posts