Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be picking up a very clean example of one of these cars, with rod knock....

My question is, how hard is it to source a motor for one of these cars? If possible I would like to stick with the 3SGE thats in it, unless there is an easy swap out that that will give me some more power.

Also, what are some websites I can go to for some performance parts?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Google engine importers or JDM engines motors. Ebay is also a good source; a lot of engine importers advertise there. Low mileage JDM 3SGE motors can be had for about $500 or so. Of course, you never truly know how many miles or how long it's been sitting - these engines are, after all 20+ years old. IMO, it's a bit of a crap shoot, so try to pick a reputable importer and get a reference from someone who's used them.

Ask the guys at www.st162.net, www.celicatech.com or www.alltrac.net (3SGTE info) for references.

I'd stay with the 3SGE, it's the easiest solution. JDM motors don't have an EGR, so you'll have to install one if you have smog testing in your area.

The 3SGTE has turbo and anywhere from 190-225 hp, depending on year model, but is more complicated to put in. All "S" series engines line up into the motor mounts, but you'll also need the engine harness, ECU and any other engine ancillaries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'd rather keep it non forced induction... and something that would swap in easily would be best.

What about swapping the rod bearings? would it be worth it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts