Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 22r that I traded the instrument cluster out on. (idiot lights to guages) I am switching the oil press. sender out when the new sender gets here. The problem I am having is the tach doesn't work. It worked in the vehicle it came out of, but I am thinking that there are no wires in the harness to connect it. What I am getting at is what wires control the tach and where to they run to? It looks like the cluster connections are worn on the new cluster, but I don't know which spot controls what. Plus I don't know where to get the pins to connect into the plug. Any help anyone can provide would be great Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
You are correct that you need to have an additional wire. I just did this conversion a couple of months ago myself. I will look in the book for the correct position and connector, but IIRC it was pin 6 of the big connector. The wire is either black or black with a red stripe. I unbundled the harness in the dash, found the wire, tapped into it and used the correct wire from the harness I pulled from the parts truck I had that also had a tach at one point. Best place to get the wire with terminal is off another harness. Be sure to insulate the connection and rewrap the harness afterward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the response, if you could figure out which wire controls the the tach that would be great! Any more information or pictures would be great, I don't quite get it yet

thanks
mj

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
I did that swap a couple years ago on my '86 4runner. Put in a '84 cluster with the tach. Had to make several wiring changes along with adding the oil sender unit instead of the oil switch. Ran a new wire from my coil to the cluster for the tach to work. I will see if I have the documents for my changes. I sent them to several people before.

I found the FSM data I have for a non-Tach cluster and a Tach cluster. Give me an email or send me a Private Message and I'll get you the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts