Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Pickup with a 22R and could use some help figuring out what is wrong with it. In the past 2 weeks or so, it has been acting up. First I took to a mechanic and they put in a new clutch and fly wheel. Then 2 days later, I hit a big pot hole, which ripped the battery ground from the block. So I re-installed a ground wire, which was likely too big but all I had at the time. The next day it started surging while I was driving and idling--from high RPMS to higher RPMS (don't have a gauge in the truck so not sure exactly how high). The next day I re-did all the ground wiring off the battery. Then it was still surging, but this time from low to dead. Someone encouraged me to look at the vacuum lines, so I did and found one or two lines that look like they are undone, but I'm not sure where they go. See pic attached. I'm wondering - are the vacuum lines the issue? If so, where should they connect? I couldn't figure it out from the Haynes or from any other internet resources. If it's not the vacuum lines, what else might it be?

Year:1986
Model:pickup
Engine:22r
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain (2WD, 4WD): 4WD

Attachments

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
As far as the ground wire (or any wire) you really can't go too big (meaning gauge or thickness of the wire).
Too small can be a problem, but not too large.

Looking at the pic of your carb, it looks to me like factory plugs on 2 unused vacuum ports, but it's hard to tell for sure.
Google will get you hundreds of diagrams and pics of 22r vac lines.
As for the surging, a vac leak could cause it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have the same setup, just not 4wd and it's a Cal truck. If I had a better pic, I could tell you. It's kinda hard to tell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Here's a better pic. It's the nipple in the top right. The hose on the bottom left was missing but I think that goes to the hai? I tried just plugging it with no change. Still just dies when idling.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
That's weird. My carb has that nipple missing off the carb. I think it didn't come with it. Can you post a pic of where that loose hose starts at? Maybe i can see where it should go connected.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think that line goes to the hai. I started replacing all the vacuum lines off the carb. I found a hole in the carb where a nipple might should be?
Do you need to know where the line goes to that nipple in the first picture? Is this a Cal carb or a 49 state carb?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts