Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 22re (with a new engine) has stopped wanting to turn over after rainstorms. Mechanic suggested it MIGHT be the 'ignitor' (aka ignition module?) but was going to charge me $600 to replace it. I ordered the part for $200 and did it myself. It ran fine until the rains came back this last night.

Aside from the fuel pump (which is prob original) could it be the Mass Air Filter (not sure they replaced that/cleaned it when they replaced the engine)? Could it be the coil the ignition module sits on?

It cranks, just does not turn over when it has rained (hard) and I am not proficient enough to do the whole checking spark by attaching battery to a plug thing.

O, and the lights/speedometer/odometer on the dashboard are not working too. So check engine relay is not an option. Hapless in Durham ;) Would be grateful for a lead!

Thanks in advance!

I think I'm a 1st gen (?) 1987 4 cyl. 22re 4WD Toyota 4runner

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Start by fixing the dash problem.
Then you can see if any OBD-I codes have been set, which could point to the problem.

The rain is probably getting into the electronics somewhere screwing with a sensor, preventing it from starting.

Have you checked to see if you are getting gas and spark?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start by fixing the dash problem.
Then you can see if any OBD-I codes have been set, which could point to the problem.

The rain is probably getting into the electronics somewhere screwing with a sensor, preventing it from starting.

Have you checked to see if you are getting gas and spark?
Unfortunately that is quite an expensive fix (the dashboard). I was hopeful I could troubleshoot the issue here: is there another way to check spark or fuel pump without using the battery jump trick (
) or checking the computer code?

Mechanic's haven't been able to diagnose which one it is. They had it for a week and could only suggest the ignition module or fuel pump.

Thanks for the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts