Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hola! yes my 1987 4 runner isnt starting. i personly think it a tank of bad gas right now because when i spray starting fluid in the intake or the pistion it self it will start kinda trys to start but stop when it burns up the starting fluid. so what i need to know is how to test to fuel pump. i dont have a pressure gauge nor would i know how to work it. any advice on how to test to fuel pump with out taking off the gas tank .... also any advice on where to get some tanks to syphyon out the gas too.

·
Official TN Memburr
'88 4Runner
133 Posts
First, is it carb'd or fuel injected? Which engine? I can tell you that if it is like my '88 FI, I would crack the fitting at the front of the FI assembly (can't miss it-has a big grey plastic knob on the end of it) and get someone to crank...briefly. If fuel sprays, pump is ok and the filter is not clogged solid. I'd then concentrate on the injectors. If it is carbed, I'd crack open the fuel line at the carb and do the same.

I'll keep watching for your updated info and see if I can offer any more advice (from my very limited supply).

D'mon

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
If it is a 22re, the fuel pump does not come on until the MAF sees intake air flowing (ie, engine cranking). The way around that it a connector under the hood on the drivers side. Rectangular shape and 1 wire. Short it to ground and fuel pump turns on when key is turned on. This is for EFI, not sure about carb'd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts