Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm nothing more than a novice weekend mechanic. The extent of my mechanical ability is pretty much limited to oil changes, battery maintainance, new windshield wipers, etc, so I need some help from an expert out there: I seem to have a persistent problem with my 1987 Toyota 4Runner. Last winter the truck refused to start. There was plenty of power from the battery, but when I turned the ignition key, all I got was a loud click. I push started the vehicle and drove it to a Toyota Dealership where they said they would give me a diagnosis of the problem and an estimate. They ended up saying it needed a new starter, but the price was out of my range, so I went to pick up the vehicle. After paying a diagnostic fee, I was expecting to have to push start it again to get it back home, but to my surprise, it started right up with the ignition key. That was more than six months ago, no problems until today. Now the problem has returned. Friends have told me it may be a "hung starter". Could this be the problem? Any suggestions? Of course number one is replace the starter. No cash on hand for that presently. I have been told you can tap the starter with a heavy object and that will sometimes break it free. Is this B.S.? I have cleaned the battery terminals and checked the fuses. Everthing seems to be ok there. Any thoughts on the matter or a link to installing a rebuilt starter would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
It might not be the starter, but the starter contacts themselves. You can get them from the Stealership or you can get them from any auto parts store. It's usually the contacts that are the culprit. The contacts are a few bucks each and I think are pretty easy to install for a novice like yourself. Check out www.yotatech.com and do a search there. People have had the same problems as you and should have some sort of write up for this procedure.

edit: if you're looking to buy OEM parts online I would look into www.trdparts4u.com and www.toyota-parts.com . Both give outstanding prices and service. If you go with the first, say you're with TTORA and Barbara or Chris will give you a little discount.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the info, folks. Appreciate the humor as well. Never admitted to being a mechanic. I'll check into the contacts, thanks humanoid! In the meantime, it's behaving like it did last winter. I let it cool down for a couple of hours and it started right up. Thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
sounds alot like starter heat soak, but evne so im sure its got a billion uses in it, so im sure its tired, it is trying to tell you soemthing :/

good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input fast 68. No problems for two weeks now, but I've gotten to where I seek out hills and inclines to park on whenever possible. I bought a rebuilt starter for the truck when this problem first appeared last winter, but I don't have the tools, time, or expertise to install it. Most shops will not install a customer supplied part because they can't gurantee the repair, and I've told them I don't care about a gurantee, I just want the part installed. No takers except for a great little garage clear across town. As soon as I can find the time to get it over there, that should take care of it...lets see, there's a nice hill right over there...

·
Registered
15 Posts
RE: starter

Well as far as the tools go, a basic rachect set, and wrenches should do the trick. It is simple to replace a starter. All you have to do is find the bolts that hold it in place and remove them then remove the electrical connections and reverse the procedure to install. This should only take an hour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, MudRunner. I replaced a starter on an old Chevy Van I used to own years ago. That was simple, it was right out in the open, you could see and get to everything. One mounting bolt and one wire for the elcectrical connection and it was off. With my 87 4Runner, you can barely see the starter from the passenger side of the hood, let alone the bolts that hold it on or the elctrical connections. It looks like to me you can't get to it from underneath as there are obstructions in the way. Also the exhaust system is in the way at the top of the engine compartment, can this be removed so I can get a wrench down there? It's a pretty tight fit and I can't get my arm through at the top. I can probably locate the mounting bolts, but how many electrical connections are there? It's an 87 4Runner with a 22R-E 4 cylinder engine. Like I said, I'm a novice. I don't want to get halfway into this and find out I don't know what I'm doing and can't complete the job. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
I changed my starter on my '86 4runner. Go through the wheel well to change it out. There is a rubber flap that can be removed and the starter is right there. If you remove the tire, it would probably be even easier but I got 33" tires and a 4" lift so with the tires turned, there was plenty of room. Very easy. 1 connector to the solenoid, 1 cable from '+' battery post and the 2 bolts that hold it on.
You are right, from the bottom there is too much stuff in the way and from the top you have the intake manifold and it is too far down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Texas12! That sounds like it should work. Once the passenger side tire is off, then there should be plenty of room to get in there. I've got a couple of jack stands, sockets and wrenches so I should be good to go. Guess I'll give it a try, Thanks very much for the tip!

·
Registered
19 Posts
sounds like the contacts, common problem with my Toyota's it seems. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts