Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an '87 4wd deluxe x-cab. It has around 207,000 miles and a 3" lift with 31x10.50 tires. What kind of mileage would you say I can expect?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I'd say an average if you use it for some highway and some city. I doubt it will get more than 15 in the city. You might get slightly better on the highway than 16 but a lot will depend on the gearing.

Frikkin bulletproof old trucks but fuel mileage wasn't their strong suit. My 90 4cyl 4x4 Excab got about 14 average but it had 33s on it.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Looks like 15 - 18 pretty much covers it - unless you buy something with some crazy 4.56 gears or something... then hello 12!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like 15 - 18 pretty much covers it - unless you buy something with some crazy 4.56 gears or something... then hello 12!
As with many vehicles, your fuel economy will depend greatly on your driving style. If you're one of those types that absolutely has to be the first one to reach the next stop light, you'll pay for it. Accelerate as slowly as is reasonable, and maintain a steady cruising speed. My '85 pickup (22R, standard cab) and '89 4Runner (22RE) average in the low 20 mpg range (mostly city driving). Both are 4wd, 31" tires, stock gears, no lift.

Or maybe my trucks are just magic. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts