Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a 89 na auto targa, which i love, and i bought a 87 5 speed turbo tems for 350 bucks. i am going to swap everything over fomr my 87 to 89, is that hard, i know wiring harness, and dash will have to be switched, but is it a hard swap.

thanks

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
What do you mean 'swap everything'? Are you planning to swap the whole engine in, or are you looking to just swap the turbo, manifolds and the like? Either way you're going to run into some snags. Since you listed the transmissions as well, I'm assuming you're planning to swap everything.

First off, You've got a 89 car, and a pre-87 GTE. This is going to cause issues in several issues. Some of the sensors won't work (injectors for example), unless you bought the ECU and full wiring harness. If you have the wiring harness, all sensors, and (maybe? I don't recall if it's needed) the dash harness too it should be cake.

If you do some searching, I've posted a lot of cross-forum links and quotes and info about NA->T swaps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its an 87 parts cra, so i belive switching the wiringharnesses over would be the proper thing to do right, and would that make it easier?

thankyou

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i do have the wiring harness and sensors and ecu for the 87, so its a decently easy swap to do with the whole car, i have a running 87 right now, so i know everything works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts