Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 camry, car wont start. turn the key and starter turns but engine wont crank and start - engine isnt even trying to start. car has been sitting with dead battery for about 6months, it didnt have any problem starting before. car does have issue with battery going dead after car sits for a week or more which is why it hasnt been started for so long - just charged battery back up. my first guess is electric issue or just no fuel to the injectors?

Patrick

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
"turn the key and starter turns but engine wont crank and start"

First we need to clarify some terms. The starter turning and the engine cranking mean the same thing; the act of the starter spinning over the engine until the engine runs on it's own. So what is actually happening when you turn the key?

Also, what year is the car, 86 or 87? They are different generations with different 4 cylinder engines.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"turn the key and starter turns but engine wont crank and start"

First we need to clarify some terms. The starter turning and the engine cranking mean the same thing; the act of the starter spinning over the engine until the engine runs on it's own. So what is actually happening when you turn the key?

Also, what year is the car, 86 or 87? They are different generations with different 4 cylinder engines.

Mike
sorry - its 86... its like I said, the starter spins (and i guess motor turns too then) but the motor wont start. its isnt even "trying" to start. if I had to describe it better, its like it isnt getting gas or else like there isnt any spark. and yes there is plenty of gas. something just went completely bad in the 6months it was sitting unstarted - it started perfectly every time before it sat there

·
Gen 2 camry Guru
91 Camry Base
124 Posts
Have you checked your distributor cap for cracks, corrosion or broken contacts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts