Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted before about my Injectors shooting fuel to the engine when the key is in the On position. Someone I talked to said I may have a leaky injector? It seems like something different though because when the key is on and I am not cranking it over I can hear it pumping the entire time. Which in turn obviously floods the engine. Any help would be great!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't yet, no. It has started to get new symptoms now. It starts great and I'll drive it. Then once I turn it off and restart it it doesn't like to stay running until i feather the gas a little and get her up to about 3000 RPM's then the idle will drop to normal. Also if rev it up too fast it chokes out a little til it powers through it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Two simple things to check for erratic idle:
1) non-sealing, leaking or cracked air intake tube,
2) bad connectors or faulty AFM.

It could be anything from a clogged / bad cold start injector to ISC (idle speed control).
Run a diagnostic and go over all the basics: spark plugs, ignition timing, etc.
Vacuum leaks cause erratic idle too, so check all vacuum hoses for cracks, splits.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! It is obviously a fuel problem, as the fuel pump runs constantly with the ignition in the on position. I took it in today to have it diagnosed but didn't feel like giving them $150 for something I can slowly diagnose myself. My first plan was to check the cold start injector. I haven't found anything in my Chiltons about a fuel pump relay, just the ECU controlling it. As funny as it seems my Alltrac with it's super cramped engine bay was much easier to figure stuff out on. I found one back east with 80,000 miles on it for $3500. Debating buying a car sight unseen and having it shipped here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
^I didn't mean take it to a shop for diagnosis - you can do it yourself for free. You know about the diagnostic box mounted near the clutch master cylinder, right?

I personally would never buy a car, let alone a 20-year-old rally car, sight unseen. Some guys have had good luck, just saying it has its risks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was starting to lose my patience with the car today after i took it in for a scheduled appointment for a wheel bearing and struts.they had it for an hour before they called me and asked me what i wanted done to the car.. well duh!! exactly what they had quoted me a price for and was on the quote sheet the guy had. Well turns out they didn't put everything on the quote and the cost was double. Plus they didnt have ANY of the parts in stock and it's going to be a week. I was irate they had scheduled me for something they didn't even have the parts to do! So I just stopped by a shop to see if they could check it for me. I actually don't know about the diagnostic box on this car? I have done it on DSM's, but not a Toyota. Can you give me a lesson? :D

Thanks A Lot,

Josh

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: diagnostics box
Your 87 Celica has a black diagnostics box mounted on the driver side strut tower.

If you flip it open, there are directions on the inside cover. You'll need about 5" of wire and two paperclips or spade connectors. Follow the directions and the check engine light will "blink" a certain number of times = giving you a code.
Here's the link on how to read the codes:
http://www.st162.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=465

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not finding the codes

That's great! Thanks for cluing me in. I'll give it a shot once it is light out again. The link you gave me for reading the codes took me to the ST162 site, but the links for the codes there just took me to sponsored ads for things. Did the link change, or am I missing something? Looking forward to seeing what it reads.

Thanks again,

Josh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which Pins?

SO here is a pic of whats under the cap for the diagnostic box. There is no TE1 or T1. Just a T. Which 2 do I jump together? I am also assuming the "goop" that I can't remember the name of is supposed to be there? And sorry for all the questions, but the guy on CelicaTech who wired the switch to his box mentioned checking the ignition timing. Will this be one of the codes that flashes? Now I am just waiting on the link for how to read the codes. I appreciate all your help and time Rick.

Josh

·
Registered
421 Posts
Josh, bridge terminals T and E1:

I fixed the links for you:

See here for a list of codes:
http://st162.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=343
http://st162.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=380

Note: we had a domain name change from .com to .net, so just replace the .com with .net and you should be able to see the correct links.

The goop is dielectric grease, mine has it too. It's fine, don't worry about it.

This check will not give you a code for ignition timing. You must check ignition timing separately with a timing gun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

The new links worked great! Of course the rain comes now and my garage is still full from moving. So I'll pull it in a bay tomorrow at work and check it out. Any other help would be great!! Still waiting to be allowed to post on ST162.net. If you happen to have any connections on getting the 30amp circuit breakers for the Power door locks etc.. Let me know. I can only find them through toyota for about a million bucks a piece..

Thanks again Rick

·
Registered
421 Posts
....If you happen to have any connections on getting the 30amp circuit breakers for the Power door locks etc.. Let me know. I can only find them through toyota for about a million bucks a piece..

Thanks again Rick
Junkyard, Craiglist or put a want ad on www.ST162.net.
You're welcome :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So it's been 4 years since I have really worked in any depth on a car. I can't remember when we pulled the codes off the Galant VR-4 if the ECU will keep them stored still? In case I miss one should it give me more than one. Or if I need to go back later and do it?

·
Awesome ends with me.
!990 Celica GT
88 Posts
Holy shit, Rick. Aren't you helpfull? I don't believe it. You're the go to guy for any Celica questions as far as I am concerned. Thanks for the info. It may prove to be significant to me too one day in the future. If so, I will know who to thank.

P.S: Where in the Great White North are you? Just curious.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Holy shit, Rick. Aren't you helpfull? I don't believe it. You're the go to guy for any Celica questions as far as I am concerned. Thanks for the info. It may prove to be significant to me too one day in the future. If so, I will know who to thank.

P.S: Where in the Great White North are you? Just curious.
Well, I've received a lot of help from ppl on various web sites, so if I can give back, I do. I know how frustrating it can be to get no help when you're stuck. BTW, I'm in Vancouver

Rick is indeed the shit! Best help I have ever got!!
You're welcome, glad I could help :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts