Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am not a mechanic nor am I good with fixing cars. I only know how to fix computers but I am a poor student. Therefore, I need to figure this problem out before I can take it to a mechanic for him to fix it. Being a poor student, I would like to know a few pointers perhaps I can do it myself to save me some bucks.
Here's the car specs:
87' Corolla, 4 door sedan. Front wheel drive, carburator.
Here's the problem:
At first the car hesitate a little going while in 3rd gear. When this happens, I push on the pedal a little and it goes away.
Now, the major problem is the hesitation. Any time I push on the pedal a little more than normal to accelerate, it hesitates, and the engine can stall at times if I don't let the pedeal go. If I push it lightly and slow then it's ok. The problem is going over the hill requires push the pedal a little deeper and this causes it to hesitate, shaking, then stalled.
I have changed the spark plugs to platinum Bosch 3 months ago which helps but now it happens again. So I changed the spark splugs again which helps a little but did not go away completely like before. I have changed the spark plugs cables 3 months ago. I also had the timing belt done at that time too. The fuel filter has been changed also. The air filter is rather new also as it was changed 4 months ago. Now the problem just got worse when it rains really hard today which I don't think has anything to do with the car trouble.
I am very afraid to take it to a mechanic as the bill always exceed $150 each time. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

·
nice guy
191 Posts
it might be your carb.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yep acc pump diaphragm is most likely it
it would be a good idea to rebuild the carb and make sure that when you put it back together that nothing falls out or is jarred
and it needs to be clean as a whisle:)

mine had the same problem and other ones as well. usually involves taking the top of the carb and messing with the accel. pump or float...

sound what all of us stock 4A-F peoples need is some Weber action !! :D :D :D :thumbup:

·
Registered
'81 Corolla wagon
77 Posts
LoneWolfKenshin said:
just out of curiosity, how much is a carb rebuild?
Call around. If I remember correctly it cost me about $150 to have an '81 carb. rebuilt about 4 years ago at a shop that just does that, but I took it out and reinstalled it in the car myself so I probably trimmed labor by at least $150.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts