Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Corolla FX with the 1.6 SOHC and the 5 speed manual transmission. I recently got the car driveable and have discovered that the transmission is acting up. There seems to be no clutch slipage and the gears that it does engage in (1,2,&3) are nice and firm. The shifter feels real crisp. The problem is when I try to upshift from 3rd to 4th, it will not engage and it will just make a horrible grinding noise which makes you immediately go back to third. This is not just a "can't find the right gear grinding noise" it makes this noise when you have the clutch depressed and then shifting into 4th, I don't even get a chance to release the clutch before it starts grinding. Also, I tried to see if 5th worked by going from 3rd into 5th, 5th gear will engage and is driveable, but is jerky and makes a clank noise consistent with speed, almost sounds like a gear tooth is missing or something. The only thing that I've tried so far is to check that the bellhousing bolts are tight and they were. Also, can anyone help me identify this transmission so that I can search local junk yards and price some rebuild kits. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
give it a couple of days, the guys here on this forum are both knowledgeable and helpful. They'll prob get to this thread today.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
Sounds like you have a C50 transmission on your car, and it sounds like its either bad synchros on the gears OR a bad fork. Your best bet is to just out right upgrade to a newer transmission from the 88-92 Corolla SR5 or sedan OR even the C52 transmission from a Corolla GTS of the same years, the transmission was basically the same for all FWD vehicles aside from the gearing on the C52 transmission found on the GTS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts