Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's hoping someone has had experience with this. Truck runs great for week or so, then random problem. After shifting to 3rd gear it begins to cut out bad, have to pull over. If I turn off ignition wait a couple of minutes, it starts fine and runs good again until the next time it happens. It is definitely getting fuel to carb, and spark. Replaced: coil, ignitor, pickup coil, fuel pump (added in line filter between pump and carb.) re-built carb carefully, made it run a lot better, but didn't stop the problem. Any ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem

I'm having the same problem, just recently picked up 86 4X4 and was running ok considering there is no exhaust besides manifold... a little rough but stayed running, drove it to gas station with no issues, filled truck up and when I left and shifted to 3rd gear it started puttering chking backfiring you name it by the time I got it home I couldn't even get it to run in 1st gear under load so if you figure it out let me know thanks I'm perplexed! Trying something new every day tomorrow I'm draining all the gas out of tank putting some methyl hydrate in there new gas and draining the float bowl, I'll let you know if I get any result.

·
mr corollla
1989 4DOOR COROLLA
259 Posts
my 88 would sputter in 3rd and 4th but then i found out i was missing the main ground wire i replaced it and no more sputtering

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was having similar problems with poor running on my 1986 22r. Went to Autozone and bought a carb rebuild kit for $35. Took the carb off and rebuild it. Easy job, took a couple of hours, a few of the rubber diaphrams were just dried (leaking air/gas) and worn out (hey its 25 year old). Car is purring like a kitten now, has NEVER run any better! Best darn $35 I ever spent and the rebuild was very easy. (BTW, I did not take the choke off since I have heard that can be a bit tricky/complicated)

·
Registered
89 Posts
mine is doing the same thing,only 3rd gear,i replace,plugs,wires,fuel pump,filter,carb,and still does it can the coil or module or initer do ithis?:headbang:

·
Registered
4 Posts
i know this is an old thread but i just bought an 85 22r and i am having the same problems and it is getting frustrating. i changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, dist cap and rotor and the plug wires. seemed to help for a while then started acting up again. if anyone has found a solution please let me know

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
H'mm, a 27 year old truck, carb could probably use a rebuild.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts