Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Tercel Coupe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am having a very tough time determining the problem with my 87 tercel 5 speed manual coupe.:headbang:

My clutch will not work for shifting any gears. Leading up to this problem I would have to shift it with half the pedal engaged just to get it in gear. A few times I would really have to play with the pedal before I could even get it to start shifting at all. I am not exactly sure where the problem is. One day it was locked up after starting it outside. Pressing the pedal had a lot more resistance when it would lock up. Id usually press the pedal a bit and it would start to work again, but this time the pedal felt like it went all at once. There is very little pressure now. The brake fluid hasn’t dropped by much only about a centimeter and half within 4 weeks. The breaks still work good. Now there is no way it will shift into gear while its running, The transmission is very tight and has no problem getting into any of the gears while its off. I am not sure if there is a problem with the hydraulics or if the fork or bearing is messed. Any advice would be quite helpful.

·
Registered
87 Tercel Coupe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its nasty work. Its not my only transportation so I can keep it off the road and take my time fix it properly. Its a cheap solid ride so i dont wanna part with it. The engine itself has perfict 125 compression and the transmission has always felt solid

·
Tinkering Addict
89 Tercel EZ
332 Posts
I'd check the clutch master/slave cylinders for leaks. The master cylinder tends to want to leak at the pedal under drivers feet just enough to let air in and make the clutch pedal unpredictable, even if the fluid level isn't dropping very fast. I'm having to replace mine for the 2nd time now.

·
Registered
87 Tercel Coupe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill be sure to keep an eye out for break fluid residue. My fork was moving quite well when the clutch is pressed. I'm positive its to do with the bearing and pressure plate. I'm still dismantling to get it to the point where I can get at the clutch plate and bearing. Its been quite a slow process.

·
Registered
87 Tercel Coupe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Ok so after 6 -7 days of workin on bit by bit. I finally get to see the the whole clutch bearing condition. I'm getting a the clutch rebuild kit and both inner and outter cb boots due to aging/ wear and tear. Fly wheel looks in great shape to. The clutch though. Well take a look its horrid :eek:. A spring went off. My bearing is junk as well

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
That's a lot better than what I expected however. First transmission I did in about 4 hours. Now I can swap a manual in my car in about 35 minutes if the cv's don't stick.

·
Registered
87 Tercel Coupe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a lot better than what I expected however. First transmission I did in about 4 hours. Now I can swap a manual in my car in about 35 minutes if the cv's don't stick.
Lol 4 hours. I finally got My car running and on the road after the whole clutch thing. Put it off cause of the snow and lack of money to get it running. It took me about id say 15 hours to get it back together in period of 3 days. I got a brand new kit in there right now so its running quite good. After the whole thing I realized that there is nothing to these cars. Very light, built simple and cheap to keep running :D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts