Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 Toyota that has a starting problem. When I turn the key, engine cranks over about 6 times (each crank is REAL slow) then idles normally, OR sometimes when the ignition is turned, it only clicks once, then NO start...just a single click. Some guy thought it was the battery. I went out and got a new battery and put it in...The SAME thing kept happening; either 6 slow turnovers before starting up, or a single click and never starting up. Any help on diagnosis would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
The 1 single click and no start is typical of a starter with worn starter contacts inside the starter's solenoid. Do a search on this forum for "starter contacts" and read up on the problem and it's cures.

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is changing the starter something a layman can do in a couple of hours, or is it something left to a mechanic? I'm not good with cars, bu6t if it's simple enough, I'll change it myself. Please let me know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1 single click and no start is typical of a starter with worn starter contacts inside the starter's solenoid. Do a search on this forum for "starter contacts" and read up on the problem and it's cures.

Mike
Is changing the starter something a layman can do in a couple of hours, or is it something left to a mechanic? I'm not good with cars, bu6t if it's simple enough, I'll change it myself. Please let me know.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Yes. It's pretty easy. Just remember to disconnect the negative battery cable before starting and reconnect it when you are done. (You may want to write down your radio presets before beginning so you can re-enter them later.) I suggest you search YouTube for videos on replacing a starter for your particular year and engine. After watching a video or 2 then decide if it's something you feel comfortable doing.

Mike

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,372 Posts
Avoid the cheap parts-store starters. They will only lead to more hassles. Use an OEM (if available) or Denso reman part. It really is worth the extra $$$.

You can probably also 'rebuild' the starer with new contacts and plunger for much less $$$.

The starter is really easy to do on a 4-cylinder gen2 Camry. It is right on the top front of the transmission. As others have said, make sure you remove the negative battery terminal before working on it - the main power wire to the starter is unfused and WILL cause problems if you touch it to ground before removing the battery.

Another possibility here is that you can add an 'extra' starter relay to aid is getting voltage to the starter solenoid. See this link here: Starter relay

-Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts