Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88' with a rod sticking out of the carburated 4A-F block. Is there a chance a 4AGE will bolt to the 5 speed trans? Is there a better match or idea?

·
Banned
245 Posts
hmj, To bad ya ain't closer to me.. I could do that swap up for you :)

Wiring will be about your only problem and depending on how far you want to push that 4AGE you might want to consider scrapping that c50 tranny and putting the GT-S C52 in.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
You will also need the computer from a 4AGE powered GTS, not just the motor and tranny. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had the same swap your thinking of on my 89' corolla. It used to be automatic carb, but now it's a fuel injected 5-speed. the only things i still need is a good in-line fuel pump, and a new water pump... but yeah, wiring is the hardest part (i had a mechanic do the work).

·
Banned
245 Posts
Really? you seriously need to use a 4AGE computer? I thought the 4AF ECC could handle fuel injection.. WOW.. how stupid of me and everyone here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the only work i did was pull out the old motor and with help from friends, get the 4age one in, not hard at all.... after that i left it up to a mechanic cause i also needed my msd wired up and everything. overall, it cost me close to $900. that's cause the car needed a lot of work, new radiator and a bunch of other stuff.

I have two pics of the car @
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12601&perpage=15&pagenumber=17

scroll to the bottom

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
hey leo1d how hard was it to change from auto to a stick? Just wondering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
engine swap for 88

Hey, thanks for all the replies. Just now looking into options for the 88 with the rod problem. Will check locally for engine series availability. Will take any and all advice on the engine/trans swap. Its been down for 3 weeks. My guess is that it will become a winter project. Thanks again. hmj

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Punisher said:
Really? you seriously need to use a 4AGE computer? I thought the 4AF ECC could handle fuel injection.. WOW.. how stupid of me and everyone here.

someone's looking to get banned AGAIN with his smart ass comments. REN69 was just giving input man, nothing else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i didn't do any of the work with changing the car from auto to stick, some of my friends did. they didn't complain about it, so i'm assuming it wasn't that hard. most of the peices i got from the junk yard, the only thing i couldn't find there was the throttle position sensor which set me back about $160 at autozone :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts